Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

First Build Questions - ROG Azabache w/ Power Amp

Started by ODGreen27, July 09, 2015, 08:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ODGreen27

Hey guys,

First time post here. I build guitar pedals and I'm really wanting to build a SS amp mainly for home practice and possibly gig use where low volume is required. I'm thinking somewhere between 8w-30w depending on what is easiest and most practical, as this is very new to me.

My main amp is a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe so I'm interested in putting together a solid state design that somewhat resembles that tweed tone. I came across the Run Off Groove Azabache and it seems to capture the tweed and blackface Fender tones quite nicely.

My question is, would I be able to simply use the ROG Azabache as the preamp and connect it to a power amp and house it all in a cabinet? I feel like I'm missing something, because I do not fully understand the workings of an amplifier as a whole. I've modded my tweed deluxe a bit, but just simple mods that did not require much amplifier knowledge.

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice as I continue to read this forum and learn more! Thanks!

EDIT:
Also, if this is possible, what type of power amp would you recommend?

J M Fahey

Don't know whatb the azabache is, but feel free to post the schematic here if you wish (hint: a schematic, not a layout or the PCB ;) )

That said, a chipampbetween 8 and 30W is suggested, both simple and cheap ... and good sounding.

Most popular are basically all the same, even same chipsize and pinout, so you might straight build a 20W LM1875 or a 30W TDA2050 or if enough, a 15W TDA2030 .

The datasheets already have an amp example which works and is simple to build, or you might get an etched and drilled PCB from Ebay and build the rest.

Or get a kit which already includes most parts, althpugh you will have to supply power supply, transformer and cabinet.

Then you'll need a speaker.

There's many to choose from, but Jensen MOD sound very good and are reasonably priced.

ODGreen27

JM, thank you for the quick response! Here is the schematic for the Run Off Groove Azabache.

Here is a direct link to the Run Off Groove website with more info about the Azabache.
http://www.runoffgroove.com/azabache.html

Would the output of the Azabache connect directly to the input of the chip amp power amp, or do I need to put a buffer between the two?

Also, would the volume pot on the preamp (Azabache) serve as the master volume or would it be a good idea to put a master volume on the power amp?

I know the Azabache would require 9v, but would the power amp require mains power? I'd like to try to keep this as low voltage as possible for my first build.

Thank you so much for your help!

mguzzo

I referred to a similar schematic for the Vox pathfinder 10 (TDA2030 based amp)
The tone stack output from the volume pot is coupled to the input of the amp as the master volume. There is a small bypass capacitor in parallel to ground.

There is also a mains power supply with a 30V CT transformer, full wave rectifier, and set up for +/- 13V DC for the rails.

maybe its easier to post it here and you can get ideas.
this is not the sig you're looking for

ODGreen27

mguzzo,

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm still learning a lot about power amps and everything that amplifiers involve in general. Because of this, I'm considering building the Tiny Giant power amp which is powered by a laptop power supply. I feel like this may ease me into understanding the workings of power amps with a simple and well documented build.

Here's a link to the vero for the Tiny Giant:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/06/tiny-giant-amp.html

Thanks for all of the help so far!

J M Fahey

The Tiny Giant is fine and no doubt will sound very good when driven by the Azabache preamp.

It deserves a good speaker, Jensen MOD are killer speakers with a small price tag, or a good "pull" .

Lots of people replace original Peavey/Fender/Laney/Crate/etc. speakers , 90% of the time made by Eminence but sold unbranded to manufacturers (who attach their own labels) with "famous" more expensive Eminence or Celestion and sell the old ones on Craigslist for , say, U$15 to U$25 ... a killer deal.

You might also get a dead or very poorly working amp, at, say, a garage sale, Craigslist, Salvation Army or a friend, empty it and use chassis, speaker and cabinet to house your own.

Of course, first build the Little Giant uncased, on a table or a piece of plywood, just to experiment and test the concept, and later you worry about cabinet and proper chassis..