Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Gibson Maestro Reverb Issue

Started by Hawk, May 08, 2018, 10:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Reverb is very weak or non-existent, hard to tell. Cable checks out. Amp works otherwise....Reverb pot has none or very little effect...reverb pot checks out okayhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5af1b3de20ea5/ga1rt%20%281%29.pdf

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Hawk

Ran a signal through amp and used scope. See pic. The top reverb tank connection (reverb input)revealed a signal, but no signal on bottom lug(because it's a braided cable?). Also no signal on the two lugs on the output section of reverb tank. Pic isn't the greatest... thanks...so tank is shot?....Also, is the braided cable simply for shielding?....wow, this is an old reverb tank!

Hawk

Got reverb working...one of the big plastic ends that hold the two springs had literally come off its mounts and the two springs were coiled in wierd positions...so it sounds great but not for long as this hum develops and gets louder and louder  until I have to turn the amp off!   Suggestions??

galaxiex

Sounds like a bad cap somewhere.
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

Hawk

I replaced all the caps...tank doesn't like power transformer? I moved the pan away from pt as much as possible and it reduces the hum some but there is still a hum after each note played but then the hum dies off after 1-2 seconds

phatt

It sounds like this is a mechanical feed back problem.
Un-mount the tank from the cabinet and lay it on some foam padding.
If that works then consider a different mounting setup.
Fender used a soft vinyl bag with great success.
Phil.

Hawk

I'll try that tomorrow and reply. Thanks

Hawk

The springs had loosened so the suspended piece was banging against the side of the case and springs were not parallel to the bottom of cab. I fixed that. Also moved the pan as far away as possible from pt...it sounds pretty good considering its age. Thanks!