Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:40:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Please don't be too hard on me, but...

Started by papajeaux, January 24, 2008, 03:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papajeaux

i know this is an ignorant question.  in the light bulb current limiter, where are the ground wires connected?

http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/AmpCurrentLimiter.pdf

pj

teemuk

Note #3 says it: Together. Actually that should be a single solid wire so the picture is drawn a bit misleadingly.

If the electronics are housed inside a metal case (no real point in that, though) the case should naturally be grounded as well.

papajeaux

thank you, master teemuk.  just wanted to be sure before i made myself the ground!

pj

joecool85

Quote from: papajeaux on January 24, 2008, 10:15:37 AM
thank you, master teemuk.  just wanted to be sure before i made myself the ground!

pj

No such thing as a dumb question, it's always good to make sure of things before you do them...especially if they could hurt or kill you.  What are you using the bulb attenuator on anyway?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

papajeaux

i appreciate that, joe.  i p/u this crate g600 off ebay.  for $15 i couldn't pass it up!  seller said it was "blowing fuses".  i've gone thru and checked all the resistors, transistors, fets, opamps, and diodes w/a dmm.  everything read like it was supposed to.  i could see where some kind of fluid made its way into the -6db jack.  two resistors right behind that jack showed burn signs on the board.  but, the meter showed them right on.  i haven't gotten the hang of testing caps just yet.  oh, and the ground prong on the plug had been pulled out!  my next step is going to be trying to run it w/the limiter and see if anything glows.

pj

joecool85

Quote from: papajeaux on January 24, 2008, 02:36:44 PM
i appreciate that, joe.  i p/u this crate g600 off ebay.  for $15 i couldn't pass it up!  seller said it was "blowing fuses".  i've gone thru and checked all the resistors, transistors, fets, opamps, and diodes w/a dmm.  everything read like it was supposed to.  i could see where some kind of fluid made its way into the -6db jack.  two resistors right behind that jack showed burn signs on the board.  but, the meter showed them right on.  i haven't gotten the hang of testing caps just yet.  oh, and the ground prong on the plug had been pulled out!  my next step is going to be trying to run it w/the limiter and see if anything glows.

pj

Good call, let us know how it goes.  Be careful.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com