Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 03:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

frontman 212r legs

Started by CarlosV198D, July 27, 2011, 07:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlosV198D

hey all,

i was just wondering if anyone knows if you can put legs on the frontman 212r. Because i'm
thinking  about installing some on mine..

joecool85

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to that I can think of.  It might make sense to make the legs "screw on" like a lot of coffee tables etc do.  This way if you have to move it in your car it will be a lot easier.

Something like this would work: http://www.ehow.com/how_4815676_build-table-removable-legs.html

**edit**
The other thing you could do is build a stand for it if you just need it higher up.  I like this design myself: http://www.timarastringbenders.com/product_p/vamp.htm

Or if you need it taller: http://ampendage.com/
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

joecool85

thatraymond.com

Enzo

Are we talking about four legs so it sits up in the air?  Or do we mean a pair of tilt-back legs on the sides, like a million other Fender amps?

joecool85

Quote from: Enzo on July 27, 2011, 08:01:20 PM
...Or do we mean a pair of tilt-back legs on the sides, like a million other Fender amps?

I hadn't even heard of these, but yahoo helped me out:

thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

QuoteWhy ?
Trouble

QuoteHey, some guys like legs!  I know I do  Grin

Me too !! Definitely !!
My question referred to the OP's:
QuoteAsk me why and I'll spit in your eye

Back to the point, I also thought about the "Twin type" tilt back legs Enzo suggested.
I think they can be bough through a Fender dealer and self installed without too much effort.
They do help a lot in terrible acoustics clubs or ballrooms, such as improvised in a basketball court or places like that, by sending your sound above the front people's heads, bouncing in the ceiling and reaching the audience in the back.
Not much needed today with our good PA's, but must have been a Godsend in the 50's, specially for touring musicians.
Today they are good to turn your combo into a personal monitor, blasting yourself but letting the audience sound in the hands of the PA operator.

Enzo

The tilt back legs do aim the killer beam of sound over the heads of the dancers, but to me the advantage was that the amp then aimed at the back of my head so I could hear it over the drummer, instead of aiming at the back of my knees, which have no ears.

phatt

Quote from: Enzo on July 28, 2011, 07:32:34 PM
The tilt back legs do aim the killer beam of sound over the heads of the dancers, but to me the advantage was that the amp then aimed at the back of my head so I could hear it over the drummer, instead of aiming at the back of my knees, which have no ears.

LOL Arrh-huh You are Obviously a player ?
Experience speaks mountains. 8|
Phil.

joecool85

I might make some legs like that for my K-20X, they're pretty cool.
thatraymond.com

Jim ONeill

Hey, I know it's 6 months late, but the answer to your question is yes.  I just installed a set on mine.  Use the 16" Twin size.  Unscrew the 2 side chassis screws and remove the washers.  Use the longer screws that come with the legs and attach the legs in the existing holes.  (Yes, I dropped my chassis down and there is a nut formed in the chassis for the screws to tighten into, so you can save the time of doing that).  Set your legs on an angle you like and screw in the washer guides in place.  Job done - enjoy!

BTW, I was a dedicated tube man unitl I tried the Frontman 212R a year ago.  I've only turned my '72 Princeton Reverb on 3 times since then.  The frontman is an incredible amp!!!

Graham Mack

I disagree, fitting the legs there will be too far in and in effect "shorten" the legs so it will tilt back too far. Also, when you use the legs you'll be screwing and unscrewing the chassis bolts each time. I just fitted tilt back legs to my new Fender Frontman 212r. Use the chassis side bolt holes to fit The STOPS not the legs. Remove the chassis bolts, slip the stops over them and re-fit them. Tilt the amp back to the point where it wants to fall back itself, lean it on something (I used a guitar stand), offer up the legs so they hit the stops near the top and the floor at the bottom. Mark where your holes will go. Undo all the chassis screws (four on the top and the two you used to fit the stops), drop the amplifier section (you'll have to disconnect the reverb tank but not the speakers), drill two 5mm holes and bolt your legs on using bolts and washers provided with the split washer on the inside. Then refit the amp section and refit the stops using the black screws that were originally there. Job done, looks fab, works great!