Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Can someone school me on solid state amps with great clean tones?

Started by badsquad123, July 04, 2019, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badsquad123

I'm looking for Princeton-esque cleans, from a non-tube, non-modeling amp. I'm looking for bedroom level playing, and gain is not really a factor. The most gain I use is an xotic rc booster. Obvious suspects would be the solid state Fender Princeton chorus (and maybe Ultimate chorus), as well as the Roland JC-40. I'll be looking to try these out, but can some solid state gurus tell me what else I should be looking for?

PMc

Quilter, any Quilter.
No affiliation,  I just love my 101 Mini.
Checks all your boxes, and it only weighs a few pounds. Fits easily in a knapsack or gig bag.

flester

Small bass amps are sometimes recommended for cleans. Also check out some Steel Guitar forums.
They often favour clean SS tones with Peavey and the Roland Cube range often coming up (though the latter use modelling a lot).

solderer25

Most SS Fender amps have a great clean sound IMHO. I have a little Champion 110 which really sings. I would steer clear of Peavey. Great amps, but even the clean channels seems to have a bit of dirt on them, to my ears. I used to own a small Sound City practice amp. It was only a few Watts, but had a nice elliptical speaker of decent size. The clean on that amp was to die for! Worth picking up if you can find one.

Roundtone

Biggest smoothest clean I have ever heard was  Peavey Nashville 400 with a 15" Black Widow. Really impressive.

PMc

I also tried an Orange Crush 20R the other day. It had a clean channel that was surprisingly awesome.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk