Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:32:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Wampler - Bad Monkey beaters, Triumph Overdrive and Phenom Distortion

Started by joecool85, July 12, 2023, 04:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Brian Wampler has released his new take on the Bad Monkey overdrive - actually, two versions!  The Triumph Overdrive and the Phenom Distortion are 3 band EQ, toggle switch, crunch machines and apparently Josh Scott (JHS) loves them.

These pedals are listed for $99 USD.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/this-may-be-his-best-drive-bad-monkey-champion-and-jhs-founder-josh-scott-is-blown-away-by-wamplers-new-dollar99-overdrive-and-distortion-pedals
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

The Triumph Overdrive was impressive.
Smart move adding a decent tone control on a dirt pedal.
And designing one where the midrange actually works.
That's why I love my PhAbbtone so much as the mid control is very potent.
Humm, maybe he has been reading the forums and found my circuit.   ;D   Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on July 14, 2023, 05:46:40 AMThe Triumph Overdrive was impressive.
Smart move adding a decent tone control on a dirt pedal.
And designing one where the midrange actually works.
That's why I love my PhAbbtone so much as the mid control is very potent.
Humm, maybe he has been reading the forums and found my circuit.   ;D   Phil.

I'm actually planning on building a PhAbbtone at some point.  You don't happen to have a PCB layout available do you?
thatraymond.com

phatt

Hi Joe,
        Sadly no as that hard drive died and took with it a lot of stuff. I do have some pcb pictures on CD somewhere but they are the early versions which were hand drawn and the early circuits are different.
It's not a hard circuit to layout as there are not many parts and only one chip.
Someone on another forum posted a perfboard layout of it, just let me know if you go in that direction and I'll post it.
Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on July 19, 2023, 07:38:21 AMHi Joe,
        Sadly no as that hard drive died and took with it a lot of stuff. I do have some pcb pictures on CD somewhere but they are the early versions which were hand drawn and the early circuits are different.
It's not a hard circuit to layout as there are not many parts and only one chip.
Someone on another forum posted a perfboard layout of it, just let me know if you go in that direction and I'll post it.
Phil.

I'll keep you posted.  I have a few projects in front of it, so it could be a few months or more.  Thanks!
thatraymond.com

phatt

Hi Joe,
         Well after some digging into old CD's I did find this which may help you.
A screen shot of PCB layout for Version4, the one I made for my Pedal board.
If you want it to fit onto a standard pedal case then you will have rethink the layout as you can only fit 3 16mm pots side by side in a Boss size pedal case.

You can reduce the slope R1 for say 56k will give a little more bottom end but 68k seems to be about right to my ears.
As mine is on all the time I just used a simple flick switch instead of a stomp Switch. As there is enough info on the net for bypassing and battery setup I've left all that out of the Schematic.
Note;
 The Protection Diode (Orange) is in the wrong place on this layout, it should be in series before the resistor.
Also R000 is just a wire link.

I still have never been able to perfect KiCad it's a bit of a pain to work with but it was free and board size was not limited like Eagle so I persevered with Kicad.
Sadly now my Eyes are letting me down and I don't do much work on circuits but I still try to fix stuff for other muso's if it's not too fiddly.
Have fun with it. Cheers, Phil. 8)
You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.

joecool85

Is RL the expected load, or does there need to be a resistor there?
thatraymond.com

phatt

Yes RL is a resistor. RL is the left over from my simulation drawing. (It's R9 on the PCB)
I think it's mainly there as a discharge path, as long as it's high enough to not load down the signal then it's fine.
Phil.