Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Slowing Tremolo Speed in Univox U65RN

Started by neddyboy, November 24, 2015, 10:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galaxiex

My guess would be the transistors, and ya, it likely goes with the territory.
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

Enzo

Old cheap SS amps?  How about all those old cheap Marshall tube amps that hiss like a steam engine when you turn them up?  Certainly the cheap old gain monster PV 5150 amps had plenty of hiss.  Etc.

Hiss is an artifact of gain in many amps.  A noisy semiconductor can his, but so can a noisy 12AX7.

Isolate the problem, determine just where in the amp the hiss is coming from.   Go through the signal path and see how early it comes in.  What controls have any effect on the level or tone of the hiss?

neddyboy

Not trying to diss SS, especially on this forum! It's just a different kind of noise on this (my first attempt at repairing SS). Plenty of noise on most of my glass bottle amps too, but it seems a little less high-frequency. I am dissing this amp though -- it does seem like it was built with frugality in mind! FYI I'm a bass player, and most of my favorite amps have been solid state.

Enzo

Sorry, not accusing you of the dis, just pointing put that any amp can hiss, regardless of the technology.