Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:09:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Got my kit!

Started by smadin, May 02, 2021, 04:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smadin

Hello folks,

I used to hang out on here, many years ago, though I lurked more than I posted, so when I got the email about the Kickstarter launch, I was thrilled to back it. My kit arrived yesterday — thanks @joecool85! — and I'm excited to start work on it soon. I'm curious what other folks are planning for enclosures!

joecool85

Glad to hear it came in okay!  I forgot to put SSGuitar.com stickers in the first few, if yours is one of them and you want a sticker, let me know and I'll mail it out separate.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

paelgin

I received mine today, and the box was smashed almost flat, split open on both ends, and had stickers that said "RECEIVED DAMAGED".  Apparently the only thing lost were any stickers, since I checked all components and they were all accounted for.  I would like a sticker!

I did not understand the note on the schematic that reads "For gain circuit, do not populate R0 and C0".

Phil from gorgeous Young Harris, Georgia, USA

smadin

I checked my box and it does look like I'm missing the sticker as well. I'll message you on Kickstarter. Thanks!

joecool85

Quote from: paelgin on May 03, 2021, 05:34:43 PM
I received mine today, and the box was smashed almost flat, split open on both ends, and had stickers that said "RECEIVED DAMAGED".  Apparently the only thing lost were any stickers, since I checked all components and they were all accounted for.  I would like a sticker!

I did not understand the note on the schematic that reads "For gain circuit, do not populate R0 and C0".

Phil from gorgeous Young Harris, Georgia, USA

The gain circuit is the standard circuit.  You can use the modifications listed in the notes to have a buffer in front rather than a gain circuit.  I think I may take these notes off the schematic to avoid confusion...though I do want to say something about R0 and C0 so folks know they can leave them empty for a stock config.  I'll come up with something.

Regarding the sticker, I'll get it sent out to you.  Glad the damaged box still had everything in it!
thatraymond.com

joecool85

Quote from: smadin on May 03, 2021, 06:23:23 PM
I checked my box and it does look like I'm missing the sticker as well. I'll message you on Kickstarter. Thanks!

Sounds good, I'll get a sticker out to you.  Enjoy the kit!
thatraymond.com

mattbianconi

Got mine too.  Everything looks great and I'm excited to get started working on it this weekend. Thank you for such a cool project.

RDRenna

Got mine too.  Everything looks good I just don't know when I'm going to have time to start it.
Also would be helpful if you or someone uploaded a some photos of the completed board with the components installed and also some pics of completed projects.  I will do same

Thanks.
Rich

smadin

Finally got a chance to actually build the kit! Kudos to Joe for a really nicely designed PCB, soldering it all up was a snap. I'll post a couple photos when I get them off my phone; I wired up the speaker outputs to a Speakon jack and the power supply connections to a 2.1mm barrel jack. I have a couple of cheap small speakers, and a proper 10" guitar speaker as well, and both a 9V battery clip with a 2.1mm plug and a 12V wall wart, so I can swap things around and compare.

smadin

Photos of the build—I have a couple of these Trader Joe's tins, which I kept because I like the shape and size, a little more room to maneuver inside than an Altoids tin. I used some nylon standoffs and screws to hold it off the metal, which works well enough.

joecool85

Quote from: smadin on November 30, 2021, 04:33:37 PM
Photos of the build—I have a couple of these Trader Joe's tins, which I kept because I like the shape and size, a little more room to maneuver inside than an Altoids tin. I used some nylon standoffs and screws to hold it off the metal, which works well enough.

Looks like the input jack and power jack aren't soldered yet, or just not enough solder?  Neat build though, I like the enclosure a lot!
thatraymond.com

smadin

thanks! they are soldered, but could use a little touch-up.