Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Randall RG80/100ES QUESTION

Started by Marshall Man, October 01, 2012, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Man

Hi,
    I own a couple of the old Randall Heads from 1987 and 1988.  My question is, where can I buy the six-prong female end for the footswitch that is in the head? Two of the three Randalls I own have a problem with this as the footswitch is really loose when plugged in.  The footswitch itself is fine.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Joe

Loudthud

I'm not familiar with the head. Can you post some pictures? Any numbers on the connectors?

DrGonz78

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

J M Fahey

Not DIN .
Forget that word or search will offer you useless answers.
And it's "Molex", athough these are not Molex either.
I think searching for  "Cinch" or "Jones" is best.
I'm sure Mouser has tons of them, it's just that the electronic catalog does not help much if you do not have the exact keyword.
Paper catalogs rule, because you can flip the pages looking at pictures.

DrGonz78

Sorry Juan I was just having fun... I was goofing off and not being as serious as I should have been...

I miss details of a post every time either way and I find that my newbish ways are tell tale signs that my advice is not as good as it could be. I will try better in all my posts forward and not just be a goof.

Marshall Man

Thanks for the quick reply all.  I ordered the plug on ebay that DrGonz posted, but the damn thing won't let me pay...have to sort it out after work as it was 330 in the morning when I ordered it.

Roly

These go waaaay back to at least WW2, and I know them as "Jones" plugs.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Marshall Man

Thanks again for the help.  I had my wife paypal it for me so hopefully I'll get them soon.  I had contacted Randall and they had no parts for these amps.  I"m pretty much a tube guy, but I love these old Randalls...can't think of a better SS that does the JCM800 type of gain.

J M Fahey

QuoteI was just having fun... I was goofing off and not being as serious as I should have been...
Fine with me  :lmao:
It's just that I thought you were being serious ;)
On a shop desktop it doesn't matter, any shop attendant will know at once what you need and bring it in seconds ..............................
Now ^^^^^^^that^^^^^^ is a big joke.  ;)
You have to give them the exact GPS coordinates of what you are looking for or they are clueless .
And even so, it's not enough.
Sometimes I've been given *anything*, absolutely unrelated to what I asked for , and the answer was: "*this* is what´s inside that box"
Imagine Google !!!!!
Oh well  ::)

Roly

We have/(had) a chain of electronics stores here, Dick Smith Electronics, that started out selling components to guys like us, but over time got swallowed by a big supermarket chain, then progressively repackaged into a consumer electronics chain that became identical to some others, just more expensive.  The supermarket just sold 300-some stores for ... wait for it ... $A20 million!  A flea bite compared to what they paid.

Anyway, during the transition out of components many of us cleaned out our local store of transformers, strip and dab boards, R's and C's, you name it, for a song.  But one store I went in to however, badged as one of their superior "TechStores" no less, I was approached by a young sales dweeb who asked me what I was looking for.

"Where do you keep your transformers?" I asked.  He gave me rather a strange look, then said with a sneer "We don't sell toys".  I kid you not.   :duh

In the upshot I walked out with about $100 worth of trannies for about $10.   :lmao:

{now there is another chain here where the sales people are themselves enthusiasts and musicians and actually do know what you are talking about}

J M Fahey

In the salesman's defense, he was thinking you wanted one of these:

Roly

If I had one of those he wouldn't dare sneer.  As it was I almost transformed myself from a mild mannered customer into a fire-breathing SuperTech who told him how much I was willing to pay to clear his old stock.  In another store the guy was quite nice and had a bin of strip and dab board oddments.  "Give you $20 for the lot".  He must have thought about it for all of three, maybe four seconds, and I walked out with another $100 worth.   :lmao:

DrGonz78

Those Transformers were really cool as kids!! Blaster turned into a Ghettoblaster!! Soundwave was a decepticon that was basically the same thing but way less Ghetto! In the comic book they had a CircuitBreaker character. I wonder if you asked that clerk in that store if they have a circuit breaker what his answer would have been. "Uh that never made it to the movies man..." The price of copper these days... Geesh these stores are run by morons huh? Good job cleaning house!

Oh and to the original poster... The Randall back then is not really the same Randall as today. Not saying they are bad now, just that they don't support lot's of older products. It's really hard to contact the company on anything before it was bought by US Music Corp. in the 90's. It was sold in 1987, so there is that grey area for almost 8 yrs before the bigger corporations took over. I like the older Randall stuff the best, but they still have cool amps today. Just gotta find info on the older amps somewhere other than Randall. Maybe they do support some stuff but I remember reading somewhere that they did not support older products.

J M Fahey

In the last years I have helpedpeopkle rapair Randalls, and was *very* disappointed.
The schematics are written in Chinese, so that explains a lot, but the bad part is that they abandoned the main point of the Randall sound !!!!
That's why the old ones are killer and the new ones are bland.
The base of their sound was having 100% pure unadultered current drive, which accounted for their buzzy heavy thumping sound (if driving a good 4x12" of course).
Modern ones have at best mixed mode feedback amd a few just regular voltage type.
They cheat by including a fixed Graphic EQ within the Power Amp board, *after* the Loop In, which is better than nothing, but you switch speakers and the fixed EQ no longer matches them!!
Oh well.

Marshall Man

Yeah, the older ones are killer.  I have three heads, 2XRG80ES and 1 RG100ES, two combos, 1 RG80SC and RG50.  I don't think I would buy a new Randall since I think they are all made in China now.  I bought all of mine cheap and buy them when I run across them. I have to fix two of the heads footswitch input with the parts that you all found for me and then I'll be good to go.