Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Recomend a good 12volt amp IC

Started by lapsteelman, March 01, 2011, 11:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lapsteelman

Does anyone have a good 12 volt amplifier IC that they have had good luck with. I have used the LM383 in the past and it was OK but I am looking for something cleaner for my lap steel. I would like to get at least 8 watts out of it.  Thanks
Lap steel player, Electronic maker.

rowdy_riemer

If you need to stick to a 12V supply for whatever reason, maybe you should look into using two IC's in a bridged design.

tonyharker

There are a number of car radio ICs which would do what you are asking.  TDA 2003 for example. You may need to use two 4 ohm speakers to get the output you want or use two in a bridge arrangement for a single speaker.  Check out the TDA 2005, this has two amps in one chip and can be bridged for higher power.

J M Fahey

Yes. A TDA2005 will provide around 15W *clean* into a 4 ohm speaker.
Get an efficient, guitar type one for good sensitivity and response.
This is even more important than the amplifier itself, you want to make good use of the limited electrical power you have available.
Jensen Mods are excellent and reasonably priced, an 8" ; 10" or 12" one in 4 ohms will provide what you need.

betweenthees

could use a lm386 ruby- Ive prob put 3 or 4 of these together for various uses over the years.

http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

I have followed that schemataic with success using 9v or 16v supply.

joecool85

Quote from: betweenthees on March 05, 2011, 12:29:32 AM
could use a lm386 ruby- Ive prob put 3 or 4 of these together for various uses over the years.

http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

I have followed that schemataic with success using 9v or 16v supply.

He was looking for at least 8 watts.  So the LM386 is a no go.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

betweenthees

^^ my mistake- prob wont get more then 2 watts from the lm386

polo16mi

TDA2005 bridge datasheet circuit !!  :tu: :tu: