Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Great deal on a solder station

Started by IndianScout, April 20, 2013, 08:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndianScout

I think we all need a couple of these at this price, I use one exactly like it but just a different brand name..

if you leave the page up for a couple minutes a box will pop up and offer you the solder station for $15.62

I just bought another one to leave in the box for later

click me..

Roly

Corrected link;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19240__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_USA_Warehouse_.html

If I lived in the US I'd rush out in a buying frenzy ... if I lived in the US (and not on 240V/50Hz).
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

joecool85

Good deal assuming that it works well and lasts for more than one project.  Not sure on parts availability either...what if the iron fails?  I think I'd rather own a Weller and pay the extra bucks.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

I have no experience with this product, but I have in the past bought surplus goods with success.  I used to buy these cheap metal desoldering pump things for $2 at surplus, and guys told me yeah, but can you buy new tips for it?   COnsidering that new tips for the SOldapult and similar were several dollars each, it was cheaper to throw the $2 item away than to find a new tip for it.

I like my Weller WTCP unit.   Tips aside - they wear out on any iron.  A new heater for it is $30, and a new iron complete for it is $90.  If this thing works OK, at $15, a whole new unit is cheaper than a new heater on the Weller.

joecool85

Quote from: Enzo on April 22, 2013, 07:07:39 PM
I have no experience with this product, but I have in the past bought surplus goods with success.  I used to buy these cheap metal desoldering pump things for $2 at surplus, and guys told me yeah, but can you buy new tips for it?   COnsidering that new tips for the SOldapult and similar were several dollars each, it was cheaper to throw the $2 item away than to find a new tip for it.

I like my Weller WTCP unit.   Tips aside - they wear out on any iron.  A new heater for it is $30, and a new iron complete for it is $90.  If this thing works OK, at $15, a whole new unit is cheaper than a new heater on the Weller.

I would rather buy a quality piece once than a junky piece 3 or 4 times.  Also, I don't like filling the landfills with anything more than necessary.  So for me, even if it cost a little more in the long run (which it seldom does) to purchase the better unit, I would.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

bobhill

This appears to be the same station I got from CSI a couple years ago. Even at the price I paid (somewhere around $40) , it has been an excellent solder station. No, it is not an industrial Weller, but for the home / hobbiest it is a lot better than the Radio Shack stuff. I've only done a couple thousand or so joints with it so far, the tip is as shiny and sharp as the day I got it, so tip wear seems minimal, but I do keep it clean. It comes with another ceramic heating element that I haven't done anything with except try to store it somewhere I might remember. ;)

As long as it is used for it's intended uses, I see no problem with this unit. I use mine for smaller components, stomp boxes, and fine discrete component work. The tip is fine enough for light SMT work, if you are feeling really adventurous. If I have to ground the back of pots, work in old tube/valve amps, that is where the 40w Weller gets used. The right tool for the job.

So no, it is not an industrial Weller. If you need that, get one. Although the industrial wellers aren't the same as the one I used for 30 years as a railroad electronic tech. They've gotten cheaper...