Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:48:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Acoustic Electric Guitar Pickup problem

Started by trialabc, July 16, 2010, 09:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trialabc

My friend has an Ovation guitar and its has been broken -- no sound output to the amp.

There are only two things left not checking.

1. Pickup -- I have no idea how it works nor do I have any method to test whether it works
2. Built-in Equalizer -- coz the screw are inside, I don't have tools at hand that can unscrew it in the limited space

I assume the equalize is in good shape. This is becoz there is a battery button to test whether there is power and it lights up when I press it.

Is there any way to test whether the pickup is working or not?
Is it good to buy a new pickup to replace the old?

Please forgive me for placing the wrong section since I dunno where to post this question.

bry melvin

the Pickup  ...is a piezo transducer it is a thin strip  under the bridge saddle. its wire goes through the bridge under the saddle
if this is a round soundhole ovation.. you use a mirror and light inside the guitar body and work through the soundhole.

If it is one with the series of small holes...on the top lower bout there is a large circular plug that has to come out of the back of the body.

Best place for replacements is Stewart Macdonald.

They also have a mirror that folds,,,open it up when inside the body

Note that problems with these are USUALLY jack problems. The transducers usually don't go bad unless someone physically mauls them

Note there are 1/8 and 3/32 transducers.... They are NOT interchangeable.

J M Fahey

I bought a cheap Dentist Student kit (I live close to the University) and found the Dental Mirror excellent for tight spots.
Also put the Tweezers and even the Dental Pick/Hook to good use.
Toothache anybody?

trialabc

Thanks for the reply. But I cannot test whether it is the problem of the jet wires or the pickup.

This is because the wire of the jet is mounted into the equalizer and the equalizer is screwed inside the guitar. Within that limited space, I cannot unmount the equalizer  and check if that wire is detached inside the equalizer.
The pickup, still have no method to test it since I don't have a CRO at home.

I think I will probably give up and give it to stores for repairing.

bry melvin

not sure about your "jet" termonology

if it's an ovation  not an applause it has a lifetime warranty  BUT electronics are not included in that warranty.

If it's relatively recent the whole preamp pops out with a button allowing access to the battery ampng other things.

katieburton12

I have the same problem on my electric classical Ibanez after putting out his guitar stand. My solution is to give the guitar a good shot. It is not worthwhile for me to bring it to a tech. As blues said, it may be many things.