Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:54:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Tech 21 Trade Mark 60 speaker swap

Started by AXEL276, December 15, 2015, 07:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AXEL276

I've been using the TM60 for close to 15 years, I have two and a Power Engine as well. Every couple of years I start thinking about a speaker swap. Any of you guys have this amp and are happy with a different speaker?

J M Fahey

Since those amps are meant to reproduce a wide range of emulated sounds, the original speaker is chosen, on purpose, to have a quite "flat" sound (as far as a guitar speaker goes).

If you want "better" but not disrupt that, you can try one of the "greek" Eminence (Beta/Gamma/Delta/etc.) which are PA types, way flatter than a typical guitar speaker, but "bigger" on every aspect: sensitivity - power handling - bass - "push" - punch - etc.

Weight too  :(  , unless you choose one of the "lites" with modern Neo magnets.

If you only care about loud biting in-your-face Rock sounds, you might put a Celestion Vintage 30 there (they actually stand 60/80W) .

AXEL276

That's pretty much what the guys at Tech21 have said about the speaker. I have 2 TM60's. The older one has a Tech21 speaker (no-name). it sounds a bit darker, and the newer has the Celestion 70/80, a tad brighter.
I did try a Vintage 30 in it but could not really say if it sounded any better or worse so I took it out.