Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Building acoustic preamp from other amps

Started by jerrdog, December 25, 2010, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrdog

I am playing an acoustic guitar with a sound hole pickup thru an electric amp and not getting much output. I have to crank up the volume to max to get enough volume to be heard in room holding maybe 100 people and no other instruments. I figure I needed a preamp. I had read on another site that you could build a preamp out of a smaller amp by "rerouting the out-to-speaker wires to the big amp's input and rerouting the small amp's input to be the big amp's input." But then someone else said this was not possible. The site also said that "virtually any electronic device that projects sound has the basis of a pre-amp." So, what's the cold hard facts for someone like me who can barely handle a soldering iron & can't read a schematic?

bry melvin

seriously  unless you want to learn a lot...or you are PREFORMING and NEED this take a look at preamps that go on your belt...like LR Baggs OR an endpin preamp ( try stewmac.com) They are made exactly for your purpose.

If you want to build something then there ARE schematics around for a homade endpin preamp...including kits on ebay but I haven't seen one yet I would perform with.(not shielded well enough)

OTOH it sounds like your pickup is low impedance...simply putting a mike preamp on top of the guitar amp ,even something like a 59 dollar behringer xenyx will have you in business also.

J M Fahey

Quotesomeone like me who can barely handle a soldering iron & can't read a schematic?
1) Get a nerdy friend who can .
Usual bribes: lots of pizza and beer; introduce him to some hot girlfriend; lend him your Harley '47; etc.
2) Contact an experienced Luthier or Technician who can.
Spend your time practicing guitar and let others do it.
Good luck.