Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Crate Flexwave 120/212 Startup issues, DSP issues

Started by abramj, August 15, 2017, 10:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abramj

Looking for any advice on where to start.

Problems when got it according to previous owner: DSP switch doesn't work (said light burnt out?), and pops and cracks when turned on.

Plugged power cord in, hit the switch with nothing plugged in, and yup, it pops and cracks, and the tuner led set flashes on and off as it pops and cracks. After a minute or so, the sounds go away and the amp seemed OK. Plugged in guitar, and worked ok. Without foot switch, the DSP worked great, all the channels worked, and seemed to be fine. Shut down, restarted, while still hot, and no issue. Plugged in the foot switch, and the buttons 1 and 2 switch between the channels as they should. But button 3 was not lighting up, nor was the DSP in the DSP 2 channel. (So not sure if it's amp or switch, yet.) Let amp cool down, and the popping and cracking goes on, with no guitar sound, for about 30 seconds give or take a few at every cold startup.

I pulled the electronics out, and pulled the main board. Looked at all the solder joints and all the components. Two joints on one Cap looked a little iffy, so I soldered it to make sure it was good. Basically it all looked good as new.

What do you guys think is causing the startup issue and the DSP issue?

thanks,

Joe

Enzo

MAkes noises when cold.   CLassic symptom, this is what circuit chiller spray is made for.  get some freeze spray and chill small areas of the board after it has warmed up.  If chilling an area makes the noise return, we have found a sensitive area, we then can narrow it down by chilling smaller parts of the circuit, and individual parts.

DSP is 100% with panel controls and no foot switch?   Then start looking at the foot switch, broken wire in the cable?  Broken connection in the plug?   Problem on the circuit board in the pedal.

abramj

Sounds like a great way to get started. I will pick some up and give it a shot.

If anyone else has some thoughts, feel free to send them my way.

again, much appreciated!

abramj

Sorry for the delay, I've had some other projects taking my free time. But, I found that one of the two cables for the foot switch was broken/not working, so the cable is ONE issue I have found. I believe the switch to be fine. Still not located the source of the cold startup problem. When I get past the new year, I should have some time. I will post some pics and data as I dig into it.