Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:33:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Power transformer: Inside or outside chassis?

Started by armstrom, September 14, 2011, 04:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armstrom

I'm starting to work on a stereo guitar amp using a pair of LM3886 chips. My 2 x 25V 200VA toroid arrived the other day and it JUST fits inside the hammond chassis I plan to use. So, are there any disadvantages/issues with mounting the transformer inside the chassis? Or should I stick to mounting it to the top of the chassis like you usually see.

Thanks!
-Matt

joecool85

Quote from: armstrom on September 14, 2011, 04:02:28 PM
I'm starting to work on a stereo guitar amp using a pair of LM3886 chips. My 2 x 25V 200VA toroid arrived the other day and it JUST fits inside the hammond chassis I plan to use. So, are there any disadvantages/issues with mounting the transformer inside the chassis? Or should I stick to mounting it to the top of the chassis like you usually see.

Thanks!
-Matt

I always mount mine inside the chassis.  That said, in theory there could be less "noise" with the transformer on the outside of the chassis.  The key words in that last sentence were "in theory", I wouldn't bother and I would put it right inside the chassis with no worries.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

armstrom

That's what I'm leaning toward as well. There's tons of free space inside the chassis. That 200VA toroid is a heavy beast though :) Not exactly tube amp PT territory, but big by SS standards. I wanted some extra capacity since I'll be running a pair of LM3886 chips at 50W into 8ohms (well, as close to 50W as I can get, the 25V AC secondaries should get me close to the +/-35V DC I need for 50W into 8 ohms. The speakers are a pair of Weber Ceramic Sig 12B. All wrapped up in a (hopefully!) lightweight 2x12 combo with a fiberglass composite cabinet. My goal is to keep this thing as light as possible for gigging musicians. 40lbs is the target weight, but we'll see.

-Matt