Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

5th Gear Overdrive

Started by joecool85, March 25, 2006, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

*** Old version seen below, new version here: https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=4795 ***

This is the first design I've finished.  It gives a good solid overdrive/distortion depending on how much you turn up the gain.

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

leonefranca

Oh man!
Maybe it´s an idiot question...

But I didn´t understand that 22uf capacitor in R1.

n9voc

Joe, lets see if I'm right:

The 22 uF capacitor on the wiper of R1 allows you to vary the gain of the circuit while maintaining a stable DC bias.  R3 controls the overall volume, R1 the level of distortion.

(did I pass the quiz?) ::)

joecool85

Quote from: n9voc on February 19, 2008, 08:13:59 PM
Joe, lets see if I'm right:

The 22 uF capacitor on the wiper of R1 allows you to vary the gain of the circuit while maintaining a stable DC bias.  R3 controls the overall volume, R1 the level of distortion.

(did I pass the quiz?) ::)

Bingo.  I've done it without the 22uF cap and it does work but it doesn't sound the same.
thatraymond.com

casiomax

everytime i put the overdrive circuit in place, between the preamp and amp, humming noise comes out from my amp, does anybody knows why?

n9voc

Do you have the DC ground of the tonemender tied to the DC ground of the amplifier?

casiomax

I have read this somewhere that the DC ground supposed to be separated from the amp and tonemender, which mean using a different supply.

and yup, i supply the amp and tonemender and fx using a single powersupply.

joecool85

Sounds to me like ground loop oscillation or a poor solder.
thatraymond.com