Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Mod a Squire SP-10 amp.

Started by dori2o, August 23, 2008, 09:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dori2o

Has anyone here ever modded an SP-10 Squire amp. I'm pretty new to all this and have an old SP10 amp that I'd like to modify.

Jack1962

what kind of mod are you wanting to do, or what do you want to change about it?

Rock On

dori2o

Anything really, I've never been impressed with the bass or treble on it, and the distortion is horrible. It sounds very tinny.

I just want to mess about with it and see if there are any impreovements I can make to it.

J M Fahey

Hi Dori.
I guess that the *best* mod you'll begin with, is to get a decent 12" guitar speaker, build a very simple box for it, and use your Squire only as a head, running your speaker wires straight to the better, improved, external one, unhooking the cheesy internal one.
You'll have better treble, lots of extra bass, and the distortion will improve a lot.
If you have the schematic, please share it with us.
Bye
JM

aoresteen

I picked up a used SP-10 in a pawnshop for $20.  It sounded a bit weak & tinny and the overdive is terrible.  The SP-10 uses a 6.5" speaker.  I opened it to see what was inside and it's what I expected - a cheap, cheap speaker (8 ohms).

Jensen makes a MOD series of speakers and they make a 6.5" size 4 ohm.  I found one new on eBay for $30.  Today I installed it and what a difference!!!  The amp is very, very clean.  Add a modeling pedal and it smokes!  Even the OD is a little better (but not much).

I'm very happy with the Jensen MOD speaker.  Here is a shot of the inside of the SP-10 with the Jensen MOD speaker.

Tony
Orlando
Tony Oresteen
Peavey Bandit Silver Strip, Revolution 112
Marshall MOSFET Lead 100 3210
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA

STDog

Quote from: aoresteen on January 03, 2009, 10:01:55 PM
The SP-10 uses a 6.5" speaker.  I opened it to see what was inside and it's what I expected - a cheap, cheap speaker (8 ohms).

Jensen makes a MOD series of speakers and they make a 6.5" size 4 ohm.

No concerns with the impedance change? Or did you make other mods to account for that?

aoresteen

No changes.  The output can easily handle a 4 ohm load.  If it were a 2 ohm load I'd be concerened but no issue with a 4 ohm load.
Tony Oresteen
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA

J M Fahey

Hi Aoresteen. Great MOD (pun intended) ;)
Those Jensens are very good , that particular one is great for a tiny Champ; maybe small , but still a "real" guitar speaker, not a toy by any means.
Congratulations.

aoresteen

UPDATE!

I know this is an old thread but for continuity I thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread.

I went whole hog wild with my SP-10.  I cut it down to a head size and had a custom 3 speaker cab made for it.  Speakers are a 10" greenback and an 8" Jensen along with the 6.5" replacement Jensen:

It sounds GREAT!  I play clean jazz through it and it is LOUD!  Total load is 4 ohms.

Tony Oresteen
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA

joecool85

That's really cool!  And made sense to keep this thread going, I appreciate you coming back and sharing.  Any sound clips of this contraption?  I love the cut down head, it looks great.  I've thought about doing the same to my K-20X and still think I might some day.

Any reason you went with a 10", 8" and 6.5" in the cab?  Was it just what you had on hand?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Evil_Food

This does look great. I'm a bit of a minimalist and I just love small guitar head amps.

I made a small "travel" cab 26x23x17cm (10x9x6.5 inches) and fitted it with the same 6 inch Jensen MOD speaker. I just love this little speaker. It's great value for money, so I strongly recommend it!

I haven't played it with a valve amp yet, but I did try it with a current feedback ssd amp. The low E string sounds just great...

aoresteen

Quote from: joecool85 on November 02, 2011, 03:54:10 PM
.......Any reason you went with a 10", 8" and 6.5" in the cab?  Was it just what you had on hand?

I was looking for a blended tone kida like your old Tri type stereo speakers.  So I knew I wanted a 10" green back.  The 8" Jensen seemed like a logical fit.  No, I didn't have them on hand - had to spend cash to get them :)

The cab was made by J Designs.  Good company.

http://www.jdesigncabs.com/

I liked this cab so much I had him make me a 15" matching cab for my 1959 Rickenbacker M12 amp opps its gots tubes!

No clips yet but I should have some soon since my studio is almost ready.
Tony Oresteen
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA

joecool85

If you don't mind me asking, how expensive was it for the cab to be made?  It looks very professional.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

aoresteen

Quote from: joecool85 on November 03, 2011, 09:31:00 AM
If you don't mind me asking, how expensive was it for the cab to be made?  It looks very professional.

I do not recall exactly.  It was around $225 plus speakers + shipping.  I am very happy with it!

Jeff did a great job on it.
Tony Oresteen
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA

aoresteen

The 8" Jensen is a CH line meaning 'Chicago'.  They are the same as the Mod series but are sold in Europe as 'Chicago'.

I just got an email explaining this from Jensen tech support.
Tony Oresteen
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA