Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Vox Pathfinder 10 - Looking for EQ help

Started by Leftysquire, July 11, 2013, 02:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatt

Quote from: Leftysquire on July 15, 2013, 12:26:49 PM
Thanks for the info Roly.

I'll test it out with my Pro JR cab to see how the low end changes.

As for the pedals, thanks for the heads up. I figure to use the Axis fuzz straight into a low gain OD, housed in the same box. The fuzz faces and derivatives seems to work better with slightly distorted amps.

What would you recommend as a DIY pedal for some 80's style dirt (old maiden, Rhoads era Ozzy, etc...)?

Hey Leftysquire,
Judging by the name I'll guess you have a strat type guitar which generally have a brighter tone and distortion circuits in front of an already hard driven Amp (which also has bright boosting) then it can be a struggle dialing in a good tone.

Re Pro Junior Amp;
FWIW, I've done a fair bit of messing with PJ circuits and if you remove *C2* (22pF) it will wipe away a lot of harshness.

I've found distortion and hi frequency are often the cause of tone problems. The rule of thumb I use is the more distortion the more you have to watch the bandwidth. 8)

Of course it all depends on your taste in music and what the end user may consider good sound. Just thought I'd mention it as it takes a lot of failures before you find the hidden secrets of what looks like a simple concept.

By design small Amps don't get much R&D and hence the buyer is soon left wanting something better.

If it helps I tweaked this elcheapo to sound a lot better when the distortion was engaged, might give you some ideas to work on. :tu:

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=2607.0

Cheers,, Phil.