Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 03:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Electrical Switch Cleaner Help!

Started by ET5115, May 24, 2012, 11:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET5115

Hey everyone,

I own a Vox Amp (AD60VTX).  Recently we've been having problems with the sound.  We think we've narrowed it down to needing a good cleaning and we've been recommended the product "Servisol 10" (red and white bottle).  However, this is a UK product and we are from the states.  We're looking for an immediate fix today.  Does anyone know or can anyone recommend a product that I can find in a store that may be close to or the equivalent of "Servisol 10?"  I'm not familiar in this area.  Any help is appreciated! 

tonyharker

People usually recommend Deoxit for this task. Beware of some Servisol products they contain solvents which attack plastics etc including the track on pots (potentiometers, volume controls etc.) Guess how I found out :(

ET5115

Yikes, sorry to hear.  Deoxit is what I kept seeing in searches, but I wasn't sure if it was ok to use for jack sockets and/or jack plug connectors.  Have you tried Deoxit at all?

Roly

Fresh dry metho a.k.a. methanol, also known as methyl alcohol;
or ethanol, a.k.a. ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, alcohol absolute;
or isopropyl alcohol a.k.a. isopropanol, propan-2-ol, 2-propanol, rubbing alcohol.

But use fresh stuff 'coz they are hydroscopic.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Enzo

Deoxit is fine for jacks as well as controls.  As a professional, I have been using it for over 25 years.  Old timers first knew it as "Cramoline."

About the only place I don;t use it is on sliders (faders) as on a mixer.  But th same folks - Caig Labs - makes an equivalent product called Faderlube.

I use the aerosol spray can of Deoxit, it gets up into controls well.  For jacks, instead fo spraying them, I usually spray the stuff on a Qtip and then swab out the jack with that.

spud

If you have a Rat Shack nearby, they sell a few products that might fit your needs.  I used something they sell called "Control Contact Cleaner and Lubricant" - it says it's safe on "most" plastics.  I used it for a scratchy pot - cleared it right up no issues.  It was "RadioShack" brand but IIRC they had the DEOXIT stuff also. 

Just a thought as it might be quicker than ordering it on-line. 

Jim

joecool85

Quote from: spud on May 25, 2012, 10:02:48 AM
If you have a Rat Shack nearby, they sell a few products that might fit your needs.  I used something they sell called "Control Contact Cleaner and Lubricant" - it says it's safe on "most" plastics.  I used it for a scratchy pot - cleared it right up no issues.  It was "RadioShack" brand but IIRC they had the DEOXIT stuff also. 

Just a thought as it might be quicker than ordering it on-line. 

Jim

I've used this as well with good results.  Sometimes I do just use rubbing alcohol.  Depends on what I have handy.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Paolo

I've used Servisol for years on the pots on all my guitars and amps. Super 10 is made for cleaning electrical components. They make dozens of different cans of cleaners and lubricants.  It works really well and i've never had a problem with it.  I was told that it was WD40 that was never to be used on guitar electronics as solvents in it corroded the plastic wipers. Maybe the guy above used the wrong type of Servisol.

Here is the Servisol company website with contact details if any one wants to check to be sure:

http://www.crcind.com/csp/web/functdisp.csp?lng=3&idx=1933341&country=GB&brand=SERVISOL&CSPCHD=0000000100003wkvjAxp000000WW8fmB$YPgQzJl9nImpUWg--

J M Fahey

It really boils down to *where* you live.
USA: Deoxit
Europe: Servisol
Australia : some kind of Alcohol (or so it seems ;)  )
Argentina: tiny whiff of WD40 / isopropyl alcohol / tri chloro ethylene (excellent but nasty fumes/attacks some plastics) / kerosene (my favorite because it attacks no plastics).
Of course we have over the counter commercial products too, but since I regularly buy chemical products in bulk, it's easy to also buy a bottle of the active ingredient and load a small syringe with it.
Plus: 1 liter usually costs the same as an aerosol can which contains 20 to 50cc of same active product, and lasts *years*.

joecool85

JM, hadn't thought of using kerosene...good idea!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com