Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 03:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

NEED HELP with older Randall RG 100 ES

Started by jerseydevil, September 17, 2012, 12:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerseydevil

I'm new to this forum, but figured I would start here for some answers.

I have an older carpetted Randall RG 100 ES (guessing 80's.) When I try to crank it up a little it plays for a bit, then cuts out and plays at a lower volume.  If I tap it it sometimes it come back, and if I shut it back off for a little and power it back on it comes back.

Any help would be appreciated. It has reverb, presence, bass, middle, treble (with push pull/pot for gain boost), with channel 2 and 1 each with master and gain controls. Also 2 inputs (Lo dB, Hi dB.)
The back has jacks for reverb foot switch, 2 speaker cab outs, signal out, effects send and return, AC out plug, and push button reset breaker. Don't know if you would need to know any of that, but figured more info is better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

phatt

Jerseydevil,
                Welcome aboard. :)

I'd start with easy things.
If you have access to the solder side of the board go find the Can Electrolytic s.
Now with very good light and even a magnifying glass check for cracked solder joins.
The bigger the component,, the more chance of cracked solder giving intermittent connection.
When they heat up they move a tiny bit and stop working,, bang the amp and it works again,, for a while.

Check the whole board while you are there.

Next one might be the efx loop (if fitted). They have small switches which can corrode over time and become intermittent also.

plug a short lead between send and return and see if that helps. If so it may be easier to leave the lead in place permanently,, saves fixing stuff.

Of course there maybe many other issues but these are a couple of obvious ones to start off with.

Cheers, Phil.

jerseydevil