Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 06:53:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Projects and repairs and your input, please...

Started by Died Young, March 07, 2012, 06:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Died Young

Hello all. I am new to electronics, I am a guitar player and have just got a breadboard / starter kit and I have a few bits left from previous projects and salvages. I have repaired (successfully !) a few thing, guitar and mic leads, battery inputs, middle pickup on a strat, basic stuff. I have a 45ohm speaker (from phone with speaker) and want to make a small guitar amp with it. I've got a jack socket / guitar input jack and a volume pot somewhere and I have some transistors, resistors, capacitors (disc and electrolytic) and alike, is it possible to hook that up if I have the right balance of resistors and use the transistor(s) or do i need a chip - eg LM386 ? Also, I have a 'vintage' pearl distortion pedal, DS-06, MadeInJapan, I resoldered the battery connector (won't power up from DC-in) but I'm just getting high pitched squealing, which is switchable with ' spectrum select' control (frequency selector). I wanna repair it, I had a look, looks like there has been short on the power board (there are two boards, one which the pots, input / output connect to, one which footswitch connects to - which i'm referring to as 'power board') looked like it was from an electrolytic capacitor so I removed / desoldered and soldered a replacement but same result. Any tips with that one greatly greatly appreciated. I'm still learning, started reading Audio: Demystified and been reading Electronics: for dummies but any  pointers would be great. Thanks in advance (THANKS),  :)
Neil

phatt

Hi and welcome,
Re the pearl Dirt box;
Try and find a schematic for that unit then you have a very good chance of fixing it.
or failing that post some clear close up pictures of the insides,, I'm sure folks here can help you out.
Phil.

Died Young

Hi Phil and thanks for your reply, I had a look on a few sites but haven't found the schematic for this pedal, I'll keep trying and if not maybe post picture like you mentioned.
Cheer  :cheesy:  Neil

J M Fahey

As a sample, read this .
http://www.scribd.com/doc/56157375/Electric-Guitar-Amp-Handbook-Jack-Darr
Then get the original and keep it.
I´ve read it what? 30/40 times?
*Every time* I get something new.