Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:44:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

new here, thought i'd introduce myself.

Started by tech bill, December 01, 2009, 04:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tech bill

hey all,

so here i am, in a mix of two worlds, electronics and guitars, with the latter being the side i am new to. ive tried several times over the past 15 years to try and learn, but not really having the motivation to stick with it. but now that my oldest boy has picked up a guitar and is doing fairly well, i have decided to join him. my youngest is also wanting to learn too.

in regards to the electronics side of things, i have been a tech since 90. unfortunately, i have seemed to forgotten a lot about analog since i have been into rf since 2001. i have been the last couple of months repairing audio amplifiers and have found that i have not forgotten as much as i had thought, but am far from being an expert.

back to the guitars for a moment. so my boy and i got an ibanez mikro. for the price, they can't be beat. (this is a general consensus of quite a few people that play). for me, the mikro will work because i can take it to work with me and the same for the boy as he can take his to school.

later on, when we get better, we will be looking into something that fits the style.

back to the amps.

as a side hobby, i like to work on audio amps, tube radio, and whatever else i can get my hands on.  this weekend, i peiced together an amp for the boy to use, using speakers from some 70's cabinets, (not sure of the brand, but are japanese) and using the amplifier section from a 70's magnavox console. had these parts sitting in boxes and knew that i would use them one day!

i have all the parts in a box ready to build a fender deluxe 5c3, which i will probably do over the christmas break. outside of that, i will probably not do too much with tube amps as i don't have a large supply of at7's, or ax7's. i do however have decent amounts of ss parts on hand and considering the availability of schematics for amps and pedals, the options are pretty much limitless.

anyways.....that's about all i can think of at the moment. i do hope that i can help out here if i can.

thanks for reading,

bill

(the amp was cobbled together in a matter of 3 hours. pretty much quick and dirty garage amp there. the speaker is a 12" full range driver for size comparison)

Brymus

Welcome to the board.
By the looks of your "dirty garage amp"
You found the right place,from little smokies to 100 watt monsters .
Beginers like me to seasoned pros its all here  :tu: