Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:11:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Ampeg VH-140C: good cabinet match?

Started by thefranklproject, November 17, 2009, 10:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefranklproject

Hi again, guys. Never did figure out what the chorus problem was on this amp, but it sounds great without that effect anyways. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what this amp is capable as far as the wattage it can deliver...

It has 4 speaker outputs (2 sets of stereo outputs). Under BOTH the chorus effected and dry speaker outputs, it reads "70 watts RMS at 8 ohms, 4 ohms min. total load impedance". Do you think this means that it can run both sets of speaker outputs simultaneously at these power ratings, or only one at a time?

I am currently interested in running some sort of cab with this combo amp and can't figure out what, or IF I can even do this. I love this amp and wish i could get it a bit thicker for my gigs with some 12s or 10s, or even a 15 on the bottom. what do you guys think?

Here is a .pdf of the reference guide to the amp:
http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/VH140C.pdf

Thanks!
-Joe

J M Fahey

Hi.
It means each of them can supply 70W RMS into a 4 ohm load, both channels driven simultaneously.
I understand you have a 2x12" combo.
If they are 8 ohm speakers, you can add another 8 ohm external speaker to each one.
It will be LOUD.
Juan Manuel Fahey

thefranklproject

Quote from: J M Fahey on November 18, 2009, 04:50:22 AM
Hi.
It means each of them can supply 70W RMS into a 4 ohm load, both channels driven simultaneously.
I understand you have a 2x12" combo.
If they are 8 ohm speakers, you can add another 8 ohm external speaker to each one.
It will be LOUD.
Juan Manuel Fahey

Thats great! Thank you Juan. Does this mean i could also run it through a 4x10 or 4x12 cab with 16 ohm speakers in it? I don't really have much knowledge of ohmage in general.

J M Fahey

Yes. Simplify the ohmage rules (in that particular case) to: "I can hook any 8 or 16 ohms cabinet into each spare speaker jack in my VH140"
Good luck.
Juan Manuel Fahey