Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:08:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Line 6 Spider III 2x12 150 Stereo Amp problems

Started by Bateau Ivre, October 31, 2011, 02:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bateau Ivre

I just got a Line 6 Spider III 2x12 150 Stereo Amp. I know these amps get a bad rap, but I got a real good deal on it because it has problems.  When you turn it on it plays normally on the setting that that it is on when you turn it on.  If you leave it on that setting you can play it indefinitely. When you change the preset the little window that has the name of the preset goes blank and the amp stops making sound.  When this happens you can hear a regular clicking sound. The only way to get it to work again is to shut it off wait a few minutes and turn it back on. It always does the same thing. When you do the factory reset it works but when you change presets it cuts out again.    Anyone have any idea what the problem is and whether it is worth fixing.  This is my first post here. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me on this problem.

J M Fahey

Those are not "normal" amps but a computer with a power amp and speakers.
The latter can usually be fixed, but the computer part, is only understood by Line 6.
What you have is clearly a Logic problem.
I would write them explaining the problem, *maybe* they can suggest something which you can do, such as replacing some internal lithium button battery or resetting it pushing some special combination of buttons, not much else.
I guess it´s way out of warranty by now.
Worst case, use it in one clean setting like a conventional amp and add pedals at will. :'(

PS: I hope you paid REAL cheap for it, remember in any moment it can even stop making *any* sound at all, forever.
If possible, I would send it back and recover the money.
You will neve be able to play relaxed with it, it can give up at the worst possible moment, such as in the middle of an important show.
Now, if you paid, say, U$50 for it, basically for the speakers and cabinet .... worst case you hook any head to them and forget its electronics.
Even in that case, I would prefer to buy a used cheap 50/80 Peavey (Bandit?), Fender, Laney or Crate which are good and trouble less.
Worst case. *can* be repaired.
jm2c

Bateau Ivre

Fahey:

Thanks for the reply.  I found it on Craigslist and because it shut down while I was trying it out and the seller had told me before going up to see it that it had no issues, he actually let me have it. 

It will be a practice amp in the clean channel until it finally "gives up the ghost."   then it will be a 2x12 cab. The Line 6 Celestion G12p-80  speakers are supposed to be the same as Celestion Seventy-80 speakers.

joecool85

Quote from: Bateau Ivre on October 31, 2011, 04:55:36 PM
Fahey:

Thanks for the reply.  I found it on Craigslist and because it shut down while I was trying it out and the seller had told me before going up to see it that it had no issues, he actually let me have it. 

It will be a practice amp in the clean channel until it finally "gives up the ghost."   then it will be a 2x12 cab. The Line 6 Celestion G12p-80  speakers are supposed to be the same as Celestion Seventy-80 speakers.

Sounds like a great plan to me.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Agree.
The speakers are very good.
*If* you have a "Loop return" or "Power amp in" which totally bypasses the Logic section, you may use any external Preamp or pedalboard or POD, VAmp, etc. to drive it.
The Poweramp section is conventional, it quite probably has a couple LM3886 or TDA729x and a conventional (iron transformer) PSU.
Someday you open it post a few gut pictures.