Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 09:08:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Marshall MG250DFX How does the DG212CJ function?

Started by Hawk, February 04, 2015, 09:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g1

Quote from: Hawk on February 19, 2015, 09:20:55 AM
Shows both having the speaker outputs at W12,13,14,15.

...In my mind these speaker outs should come off pin 7 and 8 as they are the neg, pos signal.
No on both counts.  We do not know where any W connections are going except where shown. W13&15 are shown going to outputs, the others not.  Suggest ignoring them.
  The output IC shown on page 3 is the power amp.  The other circuit with W12 thru W14 is not.
  Pins 7&8 are +/- supplies, not signal.
  The output IC data sheet may be helpful.

Hawk

Great stuff thanks. When you pointed out W13 and 15 as outputs the penny dropped. :tu:
The only thing that doesn't makes sense is when you say that  7 and 8 are +/- supplies. According to the TDA7293 Data Sheet pin 13 and 15 are the supplies and 7 and 8 are +/- signal which, on the schematic on page 3, go from 9 on Con1 to pin 14(out) of the TDA7293. To me that would make more sense to have, but I may be missing something. Thanks again!

Roly

Dunno what datasheet you are looking at but the one I have from;

http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/456/TDA7293-pdf.php

...shows pins 2 and 3 as the inverting and non-inverting inputs and pins 7 and 8 as the supplies for the "signal" or front end of the power amp, and pins 13 and 15 as the supply pins for the power end of the amp.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Hawk

Thanks Roly. I have the same data sheet and what you say makes total sense. I think what I'm finding confusing is how the TDA relates back to CON1 and all its 15 pins. How is it that pin 10 of the TDA goes to the  +power rail (12,14,15 of Con 1)? When I look at the TDA block diagram pin 10 is considered to be part of the "mute" and I find it hard to determine if that should be part of the -rail or + rail. Thanks.

g1

Sorry I wasn't more clear about pins 7&8, using the word "signal" on the data sheet was a bad choice for them, as Roly mentioned, pins 2 & 3 are the inputs.
  The chip has both standby and mute options.  In the Marshall they utilize the standby (there is a delay circuit which acts to mute the chip during power up at sector A4 of schem.pg2).  Because they use the standby, they tie the chip mute to the +supply so chip mute is never activated.

Hawk

No problem thanks for these details g1. But where exactly is sector A4? I'm on page 2 of the schematic and  can't see it...thanks.

g1

On the borders of the page are numbers (top and bottom) and letters (sides).  It's just a way of describing areas of the schematic.  Sort of like latitude and longitude of  a map.  So find A on the side and follow across to 4 on the bottom and you will have the general area.

Hawk

Never noticed those numbers and letters before but I found the are you are talking about. Great!

Hawk

Anyone suggest some good ways to put test leads on hard to access components? My multimeter leads often get wedged in between other components and I can't get the metal testing tip down against the component lead. Sometimes I've attached a solid core wire and that has worked. Can you purchase a test lead with a long shaft? I'm thinking of my SSW220 and it's output transistors. I want to check voltages on it's pins but can't get me test leads to reach as they're just isn't room.

J M Fahey

Roly

I find these small single hook clips very irritating because they don't get a good grip on the lead under test and keep slipping off.

These double (and sometimes triple) "gripper" probes are far superior;

Much longer, flexible, and a much more secure grip.

Hawk

Roly

Where I would buy them;

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p0409-parrot-style-test-hook-probes/

It would seem that "parrot" is a bit of a keyword for these (and if you have ever been bitten by a parrot you will understand why).

I have both types kicking around because, like all tools, each has its strengths and weaknesses.

DrGonz78

Both those test leads definitely have their strengths and weaknesses. I have had numerous sets of the hook type ones and they always fell apart on me after months of use. I like how they could fit in tight spaces but they were sometimes not long enough. Then I got the longer double gripper probes and they were way better. I have retired those too as they now measure about 4-7ohms of resistance for some reason. At first I thought it was my extender leads that connect the DMM to the probes, but those were fine. I then measured across each gripper probe and both of them have the exact same resistance problem. Perhaps some quality control problem in China while making those probes? Oh well now I have picked up a nice pair of Fluke AC280 Sure Grip probes and I they are way more durable/reliable. However, I am still looking for some smaller probes that won't fall apart or become a resistor.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FFluke-AC280-SureGrip-Hook-Clips%2Fdp%2FB001WADEAK&ei=btLpVKD6MYGdgwSav4LoBw&bvm=bv.86475890,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNH4uOHfdVEE1sYsfuN6m_lSo_PiVQ&ust=1424696281247259
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein