Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:16:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Need Help: Orange CR20dlx - No Power

Started by thehallofshields, March 13, 2014, 01:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehallofshields

Excellent. Thank you very much.

I have an Open Circuit at the Primary Stage, and very low resistance (~3ohms) between the wires at the Secondary Stage.

The Transformer Reads:

I/P: AC115V 50/60hz
O/P: AC18V*2/1A

Thermal Cuttoffs 130*C/2A

I called Radioshack, they have a AC120V-AC18V for about $20, but it was only rated at 1 Amp. About $22. My least favorite place to buy parts, but I'd like to spend my time this weekend getting the amp running.

Any tips on where to find or order a replacement?

thehallofshields

Okay. The Radio Shack Manager tried to sell me an 18v wall wart... I went over to Fry's Electronics and bought a proper replacement: http://www.frys.com/product/6148309?source=googleps&gclid=CJiZ0-nJk70CFYZAMgodCC8AKA

The Primary Stage reads 34.5ohms on the input. It looks ready to go.

Is there anything I should check before I wire this up? Is there a high risk that the fuse will blow in the new one?

thehallofshields

Okay; Painstakingly transferred the 3 pole connector. Plugged in and....

It works!

The Multieffects Unit doesn't seem to be functioning properly, I think its stuck making a mild tremolo, but the Tuner is still in good shape.

I'm very happy. Thank you all for the lesson.

Roly

Quote from: thehallofshieldsbut it was only rated at 1 Amp

The tranny is rated at 1 amp, it's the fuse that rated at 2 amps.

I fully understand your aversion to Radio Shack.  They operated here for a while under the name Tandy and were simply bloody hopeless.  Grossly over priced crap and totally clueless staff.  When you want diodes you want one, two, or four, so they packaged them in threes so you had to buy six if you needed four; then when you got them home you discovered that the components in the package didn't match the description on the outside.  I bought a set of Allen keys that turned out to be made out of pasta rather than steel; they bent or rounded the ends on minimal force.  Etc.

Quote from: thehallofshieldsThe Radio Shack Manager tried to sell me an 18v wall wart...

Quod est demonstrandum.

Quote from: thehallofshieldsThank you all for the lesson.

Not so fast.  What caused the fuse to pop?

Did the fuse pop because it had enough of life, or is there some fault that is drawing excessive current?

I assume you have had it switched on for a fair while now.  How hot does the tranny get?  Even thrashing the amp for an hour it should not get so hot you can't keep your hand on the frame/core.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

thehallofshields

Okay. I'm gonna leave it running for an hour tonight, then open it up and check for heat. Anything else I should look for while its popped open?

Roly

Quote from: thehallofshields on March 18, 2014, 11:42:35 PM
Okay. I'm gonna leave it running for an hour tonight, then open it up and check for heat. Anything else I should look for while its popped open?

Smoke?

thehallofshields

I thought I'd bring some closure to this thread.

I've been using the amp for over a month now with no issues. I contacted the Orange rep and he shipped me a replacement multi-effect module covered by warranty. I popped that in and I'm back to 100%.

Thanks everyone for troubleshooting and the help understanding transformers.

Roly

Thanks for letting us know you had a good outcome - always nice to know.   :dbtu: