Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:33:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Questions about the Marshall Lead 12 preamp

Started by Rutger, February 03, 2011, 05:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rutger

Hi,

I'm planning on building my first small ss-guitaramp. I've bought a LM1875 kit on ebay and want to build a Marshall Lead 12 preamp myself. There is however one thing that confuses me in the Lead 12 schematic, probably due to my limited knowledge.

Here is the schematic: http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/2552d1212538675-3005.gif

There is a connection from pin 5 of IC1B back to the ring of the low-input. What does it do, is it a feedbackloop? What confuses me is that actually it's just connected to ground (via the ring). Does this mean that I can just make a connection to ground? Are does it work differently?

Second question is: according to the schematic the MC1458 opamp runs at +/-16V, will it be safe to run it at +/- 18V? That is it's maximum volt rating so I don't know if that's okay.

joecool85

+/- 18v is the maximum voltage for the MC1458 according to the datasheet: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/MC1458.pdf

I don't have time to look at the schematic right now to let you know about the pin 5 thing.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

tonyharker

Pin 5 is connected to ground via switches on both input jacks to reduce noise.  When a plug is inserted into a jack this connection is broken.

Rutger

Thanks!

Now I see, there is a little arrow in the schematic that says "hey, I'm switchable"! :)
Well that's a good thing because I want to add a compressor before the preamp, that means that I don't need to add this 'loop' to my build.

About the 1458, I simply forgot to order the components (2x 1k and 22u) that brings the voltage down to 16V...  :loco
I run the LM1875 on +/- 18V so I thought that maybe it wouldn't harm the 1458. But I guess it is, so now I need to order these components anyway.

joecool85

My K20-X has a TL072 based preamp in it and it's running at maximum voltage no problems.  While not recommended, it should be fine.
thatraymond.com

Rutger

Thanks Joe! Do you use a regulated powersupply/ zener diodes in your K20X, or an unregulated one like in the Lead 12? Actually I use 4x 4700uF elco's in my powersupply.
As you might noticed that's what makes me a little insecure about feeding it with it's max. supplyvoltage, I don't know what the chances are that 18V will be exceeded with such a unregulated powersupply...

But I wouldn't mind a little extra headroom, in my experience it makes things sound a little beefier.

joecool85

Quote from: Rutger on February 05, 2011, 06:55:17 PM
Thanks Joe! Do you use a regulated powersupply/ zener diodes in your K20X, or an unregulated one like in the Lead 12? Actually I use 4x 4700uF elco's in my powersupply.
As you might noticed that's what makes me a little insecure about feeding it with it's max. supplyvoltage, I don't know what the chances are that 18V will be exceeded with such a unregulated powersupply...

But I wouldn't mind a little extra headroom, in my experience it makes things sound a little beefier.

It's unregulated, no zeners or anything.  Here is the schematic: http://deanmarkley.com/Info/LegacyAmps/Schematics/D1515.pdf
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Please remember that the K20 is probably running on no more than +/-18V, and those 150r on each rail drop a couple volts each.
But if you connect that preamp, as-is, to, say, an LM3886 amp or similar, kaboom!
That "no zener" trick is used on many low-cost starter amps, where every cent counts.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on February 07, 2011, 10:09:07 AM
Please remember that the K20 is probably running on no more than +/-18V, and those 150r on each rail drop a couple volts each.
But if you connect that preamp, as-is, to, say, an LM3886 amp or similar, kaboom!
That "no zener" trick is used on many low-cost starter amps, where every cent counts.

Juan, I measured it at V+ and V- and got +18.1v and -18.1v.  I didn't measure before the 150r resistors, I'd imagine it's probably a volt or two higher there.  I wouldn't recommend it, but I think the little TL072 can handle more voltage than they say it can.

On another over voltaging note, I built a Little Gem for my brother in law a year ago.  He wanted it to be louder and also didn't want a battery anymore.  The only transformer I had kicking around was a 12v unregulated PSU, it runs at 18v when driving the Little Gem.  The LM386 in it was the cheapie one from Radio Shack.  Pretty sure it is suppose to be a 12v max supply, but it has yet to release it's magic smoke.  I'm sure it's life has been shortened, but this is just a toy for him so no big deal.
thatraymond.com

phatt

Quote from: Rutger on February 04, 2011, 04:02:19 AM
Thanks!

Now I see, there is a little arrow in the schematic that says "hey, I'm switchable"! :)
Well that's a good thing because I want to add a compressor before the preamp, that means that I don't need to add this 'loop' to my build.
About the 1458, I simply forgot to order the components (2x 1k and 22u) that brings the voltage down to 16V...  :loco
I run the LM1875 on +/- 18V so I thought that maybe it wouldn't harm the 1458. But I guess it is, so now I need to order these components anyway.

Just in case you missed it,, That Input trick is not an *Effects Loop* !
It's simply a high or low input setup.
Phil.

J M Fahey

Hi Joe.
Yes, "official" *is* 36V rail to rail and it's *good* Engineering practice not to surpass it.
Yet, desperate times call for desperate measures.
I have personally used TL071 and plain old humble 741 in Fender power stages, which use a "high voltage op amp" rated to +/-22V driving directly 2 or 4 TIP142/147.
Not all stand it, but a few do.
I have also done the far more dangerous swap of using 741 instead of LM391 (rated 80/100V) in those Polytone MiniBrutes (80/120W with +/-42V rails).
In that case I fed variable, tracking power rails to the 741, because, as I said, the rating refers to "rail to rail" voltage and not to absolute value.
When the poor little thing was going "up", the + rail increased as needed and the - rail lowered to -4 V keeping the abuse "not_that_high". :'(
AFAIK that amp worked for almost a year, until its owner could get somebody to buy an LM391 for him in USA. (absolutely unknown in Argentina in those days).
Oh well.

Rutger

Okay, I'll better be on the safe side then. I want to use this amp pretty much so no time for burned IC's!

Quote from: phatt on February 07, 2011, 06:48:47 PM
Just in case you missed it,, That Input trick is not an *Effects Loop* !
It's simply a high or low input setup.
Phil.
Didn't miss that ;)

I actually only wanted to use the high-input, and instead of using a compressor stompbox, I wanted to put it in front of it right in the amp itself. I allways miss some compression in ss-amps, so I wonder if I can solve this issue by using a (optical) compression circuit.

But I gues I changed my mind, I will go for the lo/hi input annd place the compressor in a stompbox, so i can use the compressor in other setups as well.

Actually.... which input socket should i use with this switching option? On this guts shot it just looks ike a stereo input

phatt

Hi Rutger,
             pulling the jack out halfway engages the second circuit.
Note one switch is N/C the other O/C.

The circuit is mono,, just a hi low input all in one socket. An old trick to save space and cost, just by using a stereo socket like you have there.
Phil.

phatt

Oh I'll probably get labeled padantic,, but I just Grrr up when I see a naked mains fuse right next to the input socket of a guitar amp.

OK as is it is safe but I would not be able to sleep at night if I had built that Amp.

All to save a chassis mounted fuse holder.

They are so mean and cheap they don't even bother to cover the mains fuse.

Rant over.
Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on February 08, 2011, 07:21:30 AM
Oh I'll probably get labeled padantic,, but I just Grrr up when I see a naked mains fuse right next to the input socket of a guitar amp.

OK as is it is safe but I would not be able to sleep at night if I had built that Amp.

All to save a chassis mounted fuse holder.

They are so mean and cheap they don't even bother to cover the mains fuse.

Rant over.
Phil.

I'm the same way and would never mount a fuse that way.  Also, it just makes more sense to have the fuse accessible from the back of the amp in a chassis mounted holder.  But, alas, cheap amps aren't meant to make sense, just to make dollars.
thatraymond.com