Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:22:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

MOD 102 5w guitar amp.

Started by Casey4s, July 30, 2011, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casey4s

I recently got a chance to build and review the MOD 102 Single Ended two tube guitar amp. I got from Amplified parts.com.

I mounted it in an alternative chassis so I could put the amp more easily in a combo cabinet, with a MOD 10-35 ceramic speaker. It sounds terriffic.

If you have been considering building a tube amp kit but weren't sure what to build, this is a great choice for a novice or expierienced builder.  It has excellent blow by blow illustrated instructions.

Here's the build & review link if you're interested:
http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/content/kit-review-mod-102-diy-guitar-amplifier-kit

Comments are welcome...

J M Fahey

Congratulations not only on your build but on your awesome review.  :tu:

faulkner1953

I am impressed with the results of your efforts. I am considering a similar effort, and putting the Mod 102 kit in a Vox VT15 cabinet that I acquired that had a bad preamp/effects board. A question.... This cabinet has a 4ohm 8" speaker. Which output transformer would you recommend to match with that speaker, or do they allow a transformer change in the kit? Or would a change to an 8 ohm speaker be the ticket? I have no idea what speaker is in this cabinet. It's marked VT-15 4 ohm S0942. That doesn't tell me much. Thanks

Casey4s

Quote from: faulkner1953 on August 13, 2011, 01:53:59 PM
I am impressed with the results of your efforts. I am considering a similar effort, and putting the Mod 102 kit in a Vox VT15 cabinet that I acquired that had a bad preamp/effects board. A question.... This cabinet has a 4ohm 8" speaker. Which output transformer would you recommend to match with that speaker, or do they allow a transformer change in the kit? Or would a change to an 8 ohm speaker be the ticket? I have no idea what speaker is in this cabinet. It's marked VT-15 4 ohm S0942. That doesn't tell me much. Thanks

The output of this amp is already at 8 ohms. I used a MOD10-35/8ohm speaker in this build.

faulkner1953

I was referring to the possibility of using the 4 ohm speaker I already have. I thought that the kit included an OP trans for 8 ohms. I don't know what would be the better solution, change OP Trans, or change speaker. OF course, I haven't bought the kit yet. Waiting to see if I get a reply from Amplified parts about an OP transformer change.

faulkner1953

Of course, they won't change the transformer in the kit, Guess I'll have to try to decide what to do.

J M Fahey

I think that in this particular case you could buy a new speaker (MODs are excellent and inexpensive) and leave your old speaker aside for some other project.
You might later build some 1 to 15W simple chip-amp to drive it and experiment.
jm2c

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on August 17, 2011, 01:56:04 AM
I think that in this particular case you could buy a new speaker (MODs are excellent and inexpensive) and leave your old speaker aside for some other project.
jm2c

I agree, at this point that is probably not only the least expensive, but also the best, decision.  Sometimes these are not one in the same.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Casey4s

Quote from: J M Fahey on August 17, 2011, 01:56:04 AM
jm2c

This sounds like the right answer to me.  :tu:

faulkner1953

That 's starting to look like the right answer. I'm thinking of stripping all the electronics boards out, See if I can sell them on ebay, and trying to build on the folded chassis thats in the cabinet, or maybe in a VT30 cabinet, which is a little wider and has a 10" speaker(also 4 ohm). Shouldn't be that hard to do. ::)
So the Jensen mods are pretty good speakers? I kind of had my eye on those. The price seems reasonable.

faulkner1953

Is there a classified section on this board? I didn't seem to find one. I'd like to sell the electronics of both the VT15 and VT30.

J M Fahey

Sorry to say so, but burnt undocumented boards are woth less than nothing.
Donate them to somebody who has the slightest interest to practice or whatever.
That is, if you have any takers. ;)

faulkner1953

Less than nothing isn't very much. Thanks.

joecool85

Quote from: faulkner1953 on August 18, 2011, 06:33:11 PM
Is there a classified section on this board? I didn't seem to find one. I'd like to sell the electronics of both the VT15 and VT30.

Swapmeet: http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?board=9.0
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com