Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:12:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

marlboro 220r

Started by pykey, July 17, 2009, 12:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pykey

hi just got a marlboro 220r amp as any one got any info on it, it as 2 inputs bright and flat any idea to possibil cause i have to admit i dont know much about amps but i would like to try and repair it cheers pykey.

teemuk

From my notes:

"Marlboro Sound Works / Marlboro Amplification
Marlboro amplifiers were produced in Asia in the late 1970's and in the early 1980's and they were solid-state designs. Musical Instrument Corporation in Syosset, New York distributed Marlboro amplifiers to US."

So, you can likely forget finding schematics or other service info. ...And if you're looking for help, it might help us to know what's wrong with the amp.

Have you opened it up and done any visual inspection?

pykey

hi thanks for replying, as i said it as 2 inputs flat and bright, flat input works but ther is nothing out of the bright input cheers pykey.

joecool85

Probably just a bad solder if one of the jacks doesn't work what so ever.  Have you ever done any soldering?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

pykey

yes i can solder done it before, but just needed an idea of what to look for before i open it up.

joecool85

I would start with resoldering the connections for the non-working jack.  If that doesn't solve your issue, it could be a bum jack and you'd have to desolder, remove the jack and put in a new one.  Also, if there are any caps or resistors across the input of the jack, they could be suspect.  Like I said though, start by just resoldering the old connections on the non-working jack and you'll probably be in business.  Good luck and keep us updated!
thatraymond.com

pykey

ok thanks as soon as i get the time i will open it up,while its open is there any thing else to look out for.

pykey

well i open the amp up took the bright and flat sockets out, they were coverd on the inside with what looks like a green powder, got 2 new stereo sockets and solderd them in,found a loose black wire from the plugs to the circit board solderd that back on the board,fired it up and nothing, open it again black wire loose by the reverb foot switce socket, 3 tags on the back of the socket but just 2 wires going to it solderd the black wire to the spair tag tried again nothing, took the black wire of the foot switch socket and put it with the black wire i solderd back to the board and ---- wait for it --- it works, box it all back up guitar out playing away try the reverb and nothing no loose contacts , wires nothing i can see but at least iv got a working amp.

joecool85

Well, good to hear you got it working anyway.  Enjoy your amp!
thatraymond.com

skarbu

I realize this thread is from 2009, but i have a faulty Marlboro 220R.
pykey can you PLEASE! make me some hi res pics inside the marlboro, the pcb with the solder side and the parts side?
I hope someone that has this combo and it still works for them, will read this topic. Please people, i need help! Thanks

J M Fahey

Hi skarbu.
Pykey repaired his amp and certainly never came back.
You need help on *what*?
"Faulty" is a very generic word.
Can you work on Electronic stuff?

skarbu

Thanks for the reply but I already fixed the amp a few days ago! :) (i built a couple of pedals so far,SD9, univox superfuzz,dod250,3in1 lpb-1+12v tube+jcm800 ,,first tube stage'' with J201,etc; so soldering is not a problem)
I have a Supem 1967 full tube amp anyway, so it wasn't something that i had to rush, but i absolutely HATE IT! when electronical stuff break down and i couldn't resist fixing it :D
I got the amp by giving some dude an old Ibanez LA Metal pedal which i modded to a fat cat(literally cost me 10!! dollars , thus the amp was just 10 dollars, a BIG steal in my opinion )

Mine had several issues, including the fact that the power transistors were BOTH faulty, i replaced em with 2N3055 ones (nos from 1988), changed the caps, diodes, the 2 trimpots for the bias adjustment,etc.
The damaged transistors made the two 0.47 ohm resistors that were connected to the emitter of each transistor burn out(and i mean literally to a crisp, with flames, in a matter of 20 seconds), thus showing the power transistors were,unfortunately... dead.The trimpots were also gone

The fixed amp:

More pics on a thread i made in a forum from my country(you can also see the old pics before i changed stuff in it):

http://forums.rgc.ro/index.php?/topic/56028-marlboro-220r-combo/page__view__findpost__p__541405

Thanks for the reply , J M!

J M Fahey

Felicitaciones por haberlo reparado.
Te lo escribo en EspaƱol, porque, como buen Rumano,  estoy convencido que puedes comprenderlo o traducirlo en un 80%.
Yo soy Argentino.
Saludos !!

Congratulations on having repaired it on your own.
Double congratulations for having used those "vintage" 2N3055. :)

skarbu

Of course, we ARE latin, thus I kind of understand well what you wrote :D  
Thank you!