Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Question about rele

Started by polo16mi, April 26, 2010, 05:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polo16mi

Hi guys:

Its a long time since my last post. Im had been working a lot. (thanks god).

I maked a TDA2005 amp, and used a marshall bluesbkr clone as a preamp. Its sounded very nice for my, but i made the preamp with a universal pcb, so it isnt  very reliable, so.. sometimes worked, sometimes not.

I have a radio program too, where we and our guests, just play a backgrond track, and just jam over it. We use a Marshall VS102 of my partner, conected to the studio console. It sound very good  <3)

Cause of the sound of it, i get the plans of it from www.drtube.com, and begin to study it.  It has 2 channels.It has one clean, and one overdrive channel, each one selectable, and the overdrive is switcheable beetween OD1, and OD2.  Kind of two differents overdrives. I thinking (and planning) to make some kind of clone of it, but, its has some ICs that i cant get easely. It is the M5201 wich are a dual omp amp selectable by tension. It use too a 4316, wich are apparently a cuadruple switch.  They use those IC, for switch beetween differents chanels setup. i.e, in the overdrive first opamp chanel, they use the 4316 for setup differents gains loop for OD1, and for OD2.  Another case of use of the M5201 is when they select clean or overdrive chanell.

I wondering if its razonable to use some relays and simple TL07XX instead of them, properly wired. Electrically i think that is no difficult to make that changes, but since of point of view of the signal quality or better to say, sound quality, i afraid if it will causes no troubles like pops sounds when use the relays for change the channels.

Please, can you say something about this?

Thanks a lot for your help.
PD: I making a box for all the stuff. When i finish it i ll post some pictures, im promises.

joecool85

Relays work fine, thats how amplifiers with footswitches change channels etc.

Have fun, sounds like a cool project  :tu:
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

The switchable op amp like the 5201 is convenient for a company like Marshall to use in their design.  But  can use switches and relays with common op amps instead, yes.  For Marshall, who uses 5201 ICs 10,000 at a time, they cost a LOT less than relays.  But for you making one or two amplifiers, the cost difference is not so important.

Relays or switches could possibly result in pops when they switch, but there are simple things to do to prevent that.