Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

My amp is too loud !!

Started by Nico13, March 25, 2008, 02:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico13

Hello to everyone,

I've got a solid state Peavey Studio Pro 112 from 1995. It delivers 65 W which is useful for gigs and rehearsal but too loud when I want to play at home.
Even with the volume of the clean channel at 1 it's much too loud and it's very difficult to get the sweet volume spot between 0 and 1 by adjusting the knob.

So I would like to know if there's a way to lower the volume (using attenuator, master volume ???) and how to do.

Thanks for your help.

teemuk

Is the volume potentiometer logarithmic or linear? Does it have FX loop where you could insert a volume pedal? Can you use it with an alternative, less efficient, speaker setup at home?

Nico13

Teemuk,

Thank you for your quick reply.

QuoteIs the volume potentiometer logarithmic or linear? Does it have FX loop where you could insert a volume pedal? Can you use it with an alternative, less efficient, speaker setup at home?

I don't know about the volume pot.
I don't have any other speaker / cabinet.

But my amp has an FX loop. As I already use a pedal volume for violoning effects I could fit a potentiometer in a little box connected to the send and return of the FX loop. Will this alter the quality of the sound? What do I need: 250K or 500 K logarithmic pot, resitors, caps?

Nico13

OK,

After doing some research I found that a 25 K log pot would do the trick.