Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

IC100 mod

Started by parker_knoll, March 29, 2012, 04:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parker_knoll

Hi guys

just registered, first post, previous owner of Acoustic Control Corporation 160, Session Sessionette and current owner and player of HH IC100, in addition to an Orange, Matamp and others.

I have a question about the HH, which i got a month or two ago.

Mine is the version with just a switch for the Sustain function. I really like the sound but i usually play it clean, and when you kick the sustain it brings a huge volume jump. Is there a simple mod i can do (Trim pot, for example) to control the level on Sustain circuit so it matches the level of the normal circuit?

Thanks

parker_knoll

also owner of a Yamaha G100-115 :)

J M Fahey

Doesn't it have dedicated Master volume, just for the Sustain channel?

parker_knoll

no, it's this one:

Presence, Treble, Bass, Volume for each channel.

It's not the IC100S. If it was i wouldn't have the problem.

J M Fahey

If you find and post the schematic, I may suggest a Mod.
Otherwise ....
My early Guitar amps originally had only a Sustain knob too, but I chose the level so it was just above the clean one.
Maybe you should build an external simple distortion pedal, such as the MXR Dist+ .
The "Sustain" function in your HH is about the same, so no big change in sound ... but it will be more controllable.
Check DIY Stompboxes or General Guitar Gadgets for the full project and the PCB transfers.
You may even build it on Vero or perfboard.

parker_knoll

actually, in my idiocy I posted the wrong pic. My model doesn't have a sustain knob, just a sustain switch. otherwise i wouldn't have a problem. Adding a pot would sort it out. Will hunt for schematic and post. thanks

Norbert

Sorry if "necrobumping" an old thread is against any rule but this seems like a common complaint with the HH IC100/IC100S amps.

You don't really need to mod your HH to get a good output balance between the clean and sustain modes - you just need to turn your guitar's volume down to the point where the clean and sustain sounds match better. This is also how you control the amount of gain in the sustain sound. It's quite simple really.

If you want the excessive amounts of gain caused by running the guitar volume wide open on the sustain sound is what you want, or for some reason you are afraid of the small amount of high end loss that occurs when your guitar's volume down, go with J M Fahey's suggestion of using a MXR distortion plus type distortion pedal. The DOD 250 is also pretty similar.

Alternatively, you might want to consider using an A/B switch and using the 2nd channel for your clean sounds, allowing you to blend the clean and distorted sounds using the volume for their respective channels. this also allows you to EQ them separately too.
H||H user