Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:17:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fender FM212

Started by Frozenfire, November 29, 2013, 05:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frozenfire

Hi guys, im new here , been here a few times and decided I would sign up.I have plenty of tubers and like them but I recently picked up a Fender FM212 amp for $20......yes 20 dollars.The woman said that it did not work.Long story short it works fine except the reverb does not work.It didn't sound that great though so after some internet searching I bought 2 Eminence 1218 speakers for it and it transformed a lifeless amp into a much warmer sounding amp and with my Bad Monkey and MXR Dist 3 I can get some really convincing tubey tones out of it.I am going to order a good new reverb tank for it.My question is... Is there any other simple mods to do to get it to sound even better? Thanks

DrGonz78

Quick questions, why are you ordering a new reverb tank? What troubleshooting have you done to come to that conclusion?
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Roly

Welcome @Frozenfire.

Yeah - hold the phone!  There are quite a few things that can go wrong with a reverb system that have little or nothing to do with the tank itself, and of those that do many are fixable without a new tank.  If the springs are still intact then it's unlikely you need a new tank.

Quote from: Frozenfire$20......yes 20 dollars.

Proving yet again how just about any sort of fault can demolish the resale price on amps and all sorts of stuff.  Well done.  (I live in this crack in consumerism.   :lmao:  )
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Frozenfire

Thanks guys.The reverb tank crackles at the in and out rca jacks im pretty sure the connections are toast.Also the reverb on these amps are not great so I would like to upgrade.

Roly

Quote from: FrozenfireThe reverb tank crackles at the in and out rca jacks

This is a fairly common problem that is normally easy to repair.  My advice is to check, clean, and re-secure the connectors if required.

If you insist on changing the tank be aware that there are a number of variables you have to get right such as input and output impedances.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Bill Moore

I have, what I believe is the head version of your amp, an FM100H. I have had no problems since I bought it new, but I did change the reverb tank for a 4 series Accutronics, (4EB3C1B), which gave it more of the reverb sound I was wanting.