Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:20:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

TDA7850?

Started by tpb03, December 17, 2012, 05:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpb03

I have seen some kits on ebay which use a TDA7850 chip which claims 4 x 50W from a 12v supply. Is it possible to use these kits in a guitar amp? Can you bridge the 4 channels into 1 output or just use one of the channels for a 50W amp?

Tim

tpb03

Actually,
how does the TDA1562 chip fair for Guitar. Seems like a pretty good candidate for an amp as well.

Tim

sim0n

The TDA7850's individual channels are already bridged internally so you can't do much there and running them in parallel doesn't help much when its already good at driving low impedances. That data sheet says it rated at 50W @ 14.4V for 2ohm loads, at 4 ohms it's more in the area under 25W. You could leave unneeded channels disconnected as you proposed, maybe run a stereo setup if you have two speakers.

J M Fahey

I've also searched its datasheet because it looked promising, bur really not that much for us.
It has 4 12V bridged power amps, so it's 4x20W per channel per 4 ohms speaker, so it's excellent for what it was designed for: driving 4 speakers inside a car.
Of course, you can always make a 4x10" , 80W amp , with one channel driving each speaker.
Bsides cars, it's a big favorite in Denmark.
They have a cool Music and Arts festival called Roskilde, lasting almost a week, in the middle of a forest.
If you want to play music, you have to bring your own battery powered equipment , so they build things like this one:

Can't find the picture now, but there's a guy who posted a similar "Boombox" as they call them, with 2x10" speakers at front, 2x10" at back, a lot of Piezo tweeters and 4 amps as I mentioned before.
The whole thing powered by a car battery.
Heavy, but lasts the full week  :o
This is a smaller one:

2 bridged amps , 2x8" speakers + 2 very efficient bullet tweeters.
Although it has a smaller battery, has to be recharged every night.