Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Unicord Stage 65b Output Transistors

Started by Sfmag1, April 29, 2019, 02:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sfmag1

Hello. I have been working on a Unicord "Stage" 65b amplifier and ordered and installed replacement output transistors Sanyo B507E and D313E. They work alright with a signal from a generator or guitar at very low volume but  heat up and will burn/short out completely if left on with a louder volume setting. The sound is good out of an 8 ohm speaker until it is turned up, then they heat up. They would be normally mounted to the chassis to dissipate heat but they are burning hot anyway. The speaker reads ok at 8 ohms. I am suspecting the Chinese transistors I bought from e-bay are cheap junk and that is the problem. Any experience or advice on this? Should I buy an equivalent?
Tx

phatt

Quote from: Sfmag1 on April 29, 2019, 02:00:22 AM
Hello. I have been working on a Unicord "Stage" 65b amplifier and ordered and installed replacement output transistors Sanyo B507E and D313E. They work alright with a signal from a generator or guitar at very low volume but  heat up and will burn/short out completely if left on with a louder volume setting. The sound is good out of an 8 ohm speaker until it is turned up, then they heat up. They would be normally mounted to the chassis to dissipate heat but they are burning hot anyway. The speaker reads ok at 8 ohms. I am suspecting the Chinese transistors I bought from e-bay are cheap junk and that is the problem. Any experience or advice on this? Should I buy an equivalent?
Tx

ARRRRH,,  :o  Stop!!!  :o They have to be mounted BEFORE you turn on anything.
That is why the heat sink is there,, they cannot work without a heat sink.
Phil.

Enzo

Agree^^^

ALWAYS put the power transistors on the heatsink before powering up.

How long would you run your car engine with zero water in it?  Or with zero oil in it?

Sfmag1

Ok noted and will try. ??? 

Sfmag1

Ok mounted to chassis and so far so good. :dbtu:

joecool85

Quote from: Sfmag1 on June 09, 2019, 04:38:01 AM
Ok mounted to chassis and so far so good. :dbtu:

Glad to hear it!  :tu:
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com