Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:41:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

question about wiring multi-speaker arrays (like Phil Jones bass amps, etc.)

Started by mexicanyella, March 20, 2017, 10:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mexicanyella

Hi all, wanted to ask something that's been puzzling me, and which my reviewing of series/parallel wiring info has not answered.

If I were to wire up an array of nine 4-ohm speakers to present a 4-ohm load to an amp, I could

a) wire groups of three each in series, giving me three 12-ohm groups, and then connect those three groups in parallel, bringing me back to 4 ohms...

OR

b) wire groups of three each in parallel, giving me three 1.33-ohm groups, and then connect these three groups together in series, also bringing me back to 4 ohms total.

The first method seems more intuitive to me, but I don't know why. Is there an advantage or disadvantage about either of these two connection schemes? Is there a problem with one or the other I'm unwaware of? Any direction here much appreciated...

Mexicanyellla

Enzo

Please explain your watts conclusion.

His two examples are already series/parallel, but the main point is that they add up to 4 ohms either way.  All the amp ever sees is 4 ohms, it never knows how many drivers there are.  And the drivers all share power equally.  So 90 watts from an amp would result in 10 watts in each speaker.

mexicanyella

Enzo, what were you referring to about watts? Did I miss a post before it got edited or something?

I don't really understand how back EMF works yet, and don't know if that's a factor to consider here, or even if it would be different in either of my two series/parallel scenarios. The only reason I can think of to choose one approach over the other is that (I think?) if one of the drivers' voice coils were to blow and go "open," in scenario A that would take out one entire series-wired 3-speaker group, leaving me with 6 functioning drivers and a total impedance of 6 ohms.

If I were to blow a speaker and go "open" in scenario B, I'd still have 8 functioning drivers, but one of the parallel-wired 3-speaker groups would become a two-speaker group. If I've figured this right, I'd have two 1.33-ohm parallel groups and 2-ohm group, all in series, for a total one-speaker-blown impedance of 3.54 ohms.

If I have this figured right, it seems like scenario B might be a little safer if one expected to be driving the speakers pretty hard as long as the amp driving the speakers could handle a 4-ohm load, because losing one driver wouldn't also take two other drivers out of the circuit...and the odds of smoking multiple drivers together in scenario B seem more remote...right?

Crystallas

You're good. I had a brain fart, then made one of those before-coffee responses in the wee hours and was corrected. So I deleted my post, because it would have done nothing to help. I'll stay out of it. Good luck, hope your cab turns out the way you want it to. ;)