Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

I found myself an enclosure.

Started by syndromet, August 08, 2006, 03:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

I have been visiting the dumpster for electronic garbage lately, picking up old HI-FI components for parts. I'we aquired a lot of transformers, tropical fish capasitors, those cute silver caps from the 70's and old ge diodes and transistors.

Yesterday I found an old Tandberg radio reciver in great condition. It should be easy to modify the front to have only one volume controll, and I'm planning to change the backlite frequenzie-indicator to a logo. The top and sides are beautifully figured teak, and the front is brushed aluminium and glass. I think it's going to look supercool!!!

The radio is made in 1974,and have an extreme number of high quality capasitors. I still havent checked the voltages from the transformer, but it looks solid and huge, with 120. 220 and 240 V primary. The secondaries have 8 pins, so I guess there will be a wide array of voltages to select from.

So, here is what it looks like:

joecool85

Wow, looks great, should make for a sweet enclosure.  See, you don't need to *buy* an enclosure.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

teemuk

Nice. Those 70's designs look really sexy. Properly done that enclosure will have a look resembling those old Acoustic amps. How is the heatsink? Sometimes it's quite modest in some of those old receivers. (I have a massive Sanyo receiver that weights a ton but the only heatsink in it is the backplate of the chassis - not very effective). BTW, in my opinion it's a good idea to recycle the power amp stage and just rebuild the preamp but why not take a full advantage of those nice looking buttons and potentiometers. That chassis looks like it could house a very versatile preamp. ...That on the upper right looks like a VU meter. Cool.

syndromet

Damn!!! I'm just finnished drilling my enclosure, and was about to test my transformer when it turnes out it doesent work!!! Lots of smoke and bad smell, so no I have to go hunting for a new transformer to fit in this enclosure, wich will be hard.