Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Chasis, transformer and heatsinks for Chipamps

Started by mgr800, June 18, 2006, 02:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgr800

I want to try building one of the kits from chipamp, but i dont know where to find a transformer or chasis or heatsinks, as they're not included. What transformer would you reccommend, and where can you find it.

joecool85

Check out partsexpress.com for the transformer.  Type in toroidal in the search box.  For a LM3886 you'll want a 25+25 160va.  As far as heatsinks go, eBay is your friend.  Something like this would be perfect: http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-6-5-x-5-75-x-2-72_W0QQitemZ7629890173QQihZ017QQcategoryZ92078QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And for an enclosure, you can use practically anything you want.  Metal is better though.  I would suggest looking at rack mount chassis if you want an easy metal box to work with.  You will want something 3" or taller to make sure everything clears properly.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

mgr800

while we're at it, how do i get the kit? the site has pretty much everything out of stock. should i just wait?

joecool85

Just wait probably.  Or get something from that other place...I can't remember the site, but there is another guy that sells basically the same kits, I just normally go through Brian.  If you want to email him, his email is bb@darg.net
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com