Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

TDA2030A based amp

Started by Lex, April 12, 2020, 08:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

While Squier ( https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=4763.0 ) is lend, got me a non working TDA2030A based amp. So I have sth to practice with/on..
It's fixed now and it works.
It's a non labeled kind of  Vox Pathfinder 10 / JT Classic 10 amp. Looking here ( https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1714.msg11293#msg11293 ) I see a lot similarities even same transistors as JT.
Same cab too.

One difference is that there is no distortion switch but it kicks in with the Gain pot. 
It does sound reasonable on a big speaker, no humm / hismm / zoommm .. sounds.
Distortion does not sound very pleasant so I will probably make a multi-switch with cascading diodes.

One thing what I would like to do is to get rid of the trans and make it battery powered.
Im aware that TDA2030A suck maybe to much of the current for a reasonable sized lithium rechargeable battery (or batteries, salvaged from a laptop).

Would it be possible to change this TDA to other 5-legged amp with a lower power and to keep the rest on the board like it is ..?
If not, then in stead of original trans – a suitable laptop adaptor.
I suppose in this case would be just adding female jack and removing the trans.

Im also open to suggestions.
Everything what will teach me to understand / improve / change / tweak / upgrade .. existing and future amp(s). 

Cheers

Lex

Oooscar

Interesting. I bought one TDA2030A recently. Which is a good and not very expensive way to power it? That's the first thing, and I am afraid that 12 v and 1 A max. is not enough.

Cheers.

Oscar.

joecool85

Quote from: Lex on April 12, 2020, 08:15:54 AM
While Squier ( https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=4763.0 ) is lend, got me a non working TDA2030A based amp. So I have sth to practice with/on..
It's fixed now and it works.
It's a non labeled kind of  Vox Pathfinder 10 / JT Classic 10 amp. Looking here ( https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1714.msg11293#msg11293 ) I see a lot similarities even same transistors as JT.
Same cab too.

One difference is that there is no distortion switch but it kicks in with the Gain pot. 
It does sound reasonable on a big speaker, no humm / hismm / zoommm .. sounds.
Distortion does not sound very pleasant so I will probably make a multi-switch with cascading diodes.

One thing what I would like to do is to get rid of the trans and make it battery powered.
Im aware that TDA2030A suck maybe to much of the current for a reasonable sized lithium rechargeable battery (or batteries, salvaged from a laptop).

Would it be possible to change this TDA to other 5-legged amp with a lower power and to keep the rest on the board like it is ..?
If not, then in stead of original trans – a suitable laptop adaptor.
I suppose in this case would be just adding female jack and removing the trans.

Im also open to suggestions.
Everything what will teach me to understand / improve / change / tweak / upgrade .. existing and future amp(s). 

Cheers

Lex

If you are good with about 10w output on a 4ohm speaker, you could use two 12v SLA batteries tied in series.  You should get about an hour of run time for every 1AH of battery pairs you put in.  IE: two 12v 1AH SLAs would give you one hour of play time.  Or two 12v 5AH batteries together would give you 5 hours play time.  This is what I would suggest though I'd have to see the exact schematic to tell you if it would work 100% or not.  Worth a try, it certainly won't break anything by trying it.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Lex

Quote from: joecool85 on April 15, 2020, 10:10:08 AM

If you are good with about 10w output on a 4ohm speaker, you could use two 12v SLA batteries tied in series.  You should get about an hour of run time for every 1AH of battery pairs you put in.  IE: two 12v 1AH SLAs would give you one hour of play time.  Or two 12v 5AH batteries together would give you 5 hours play time.  This is what I would suggest though I'd have to see the exact schematic to tell you if it would work 100% or not.  Worth a try, it certainly won't break anything by trying it.

Hi, all I could do is to make a pictures of the board and post it here.
I doubt that there is a schematics for this particular amp.
But someone will probably recognise this nock-off ..

Well thanx for your wisdom about the battery.
I'll post pics.
Hearing now about 12v /5ah battery i start to wonder - does is have any sense with such adding so much space and wight.
However as a practise project could be interesting.

CHeers

joecool85

Quote from: Lex on April 16, 2020, 03:36:53 AM
Quote from: joecool85 on April 15, 2020, 10:10:08 AM

Hi, all I could do is to make a pictures of the board and post it here.
I doubt that there is a schematics for this particular amp.
But someone will probably recognise this nock-off ..

Well thanx for your wisdom about the battery.
I'll post pics.
Hearing now about 12v /5ah battery i start to wonder - does is have any sense with such adding so much space and wight.
However as a practise project could be interesting.

CHeers

You could make it lighter with a pair of 5,000mah 11.1v Li-ion batteries tied in series.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Lex

Quote from: joecool85 on April 16, 2020, 02:43:08 PM

You could make it lighter with a pair of 5,000mah 11.1v Li-ion batteries tied in series.

ok, i have an idea where it is going ..  Thanx !

Cheers