Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:04:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Sound Proof Foam Etc Inside Of Amplifiers And Cabinets

Started by DreamSeller, June 15, 2006, 04:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamSeller

Does anyone do this. I was at work last night and new cash registers came in, They were packed in the wavy foam stuff that looks just like the sound proof foam, I figured I might as well give it a go since it wont cost me anything.

Does anyone here use the stuff on the inside of their cabs etc.

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day
haggardfx.com - Electronics Resource Library

teemuk

I've seen damping materials used in some guitar cabinets but it doesn´t seem to be very common. I guess the material would attenuate the waves inside the cabinet and as a result the cabinet would have less resonances and probabably larger "artificial" dimensions. At least for HiFi speakers, in which the sound of the cabinet itself should be as transparent as possible, this would be a good solution. I guess bass cabinets could benefit from it as well. Guitar players tend to prefer resonating cabinets since they color the sound. You should give it a try.

el mo

the foam stuff can also help avoiding standing waves inside the cabinet which cause phase cancellation.

RDV

Quote from: DreamSeller on June 15, 2006, 04:13:32 AM
Does anyone do this. I was at work last night and new cash registers came in, They were packed in the wavy foam stuff that looks just like the sound proof foam, I figured I might as well give it a go since it wont cost me anything.
Does anyone here use the stuff on the inside of their cabs etc.
Definitely keep that stuff, it has all kinds of uses. Audio & otherwise. I just ran out of it myself cause I've been making DIY stereo speakers and subs. I'm on the lookout for more.

What it does for speakers is what Elmo described plus it makes the woofer think that it's in a much larger cabinet which is very handy when designing small bookshelf size speakers.

RDV

joecool85

I've never seen it used for anything other than subwoofer boxes, and normally only sealed ones at that.  I suppose it could work for guitar cabs though.  I would consider poly stuffing, easier to work with (arguably) and its $1 or so for a good size bag at walmart.

**edit**
I should note that I no longer shop at walmart due to how they treat their employees (low wages, no benefits etc).  So check out a craft store instead  8)
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

el mo

QuoteI should note that I no longer shop at walmart due to how they treat their employees (low wages, no benefits etc).
very good decision.