Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pentawatt layout TDA2030A and TDA2050 etc

Started by jfetter, January 30, 2007, 10:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfetter

Anyone have the Orcad 'layout' library for the Pentawatt (TDA2030A and TDA2050). I have the schematic 'Capture' library from ST, no footprints though.

Thanks

jfetter

Here is a footprint for the tda2050V (vertical mnt)

jfetter

Here is the prototype TDA2050 and jfet preamp. The power amp supplies 24vdc to preamp. Design is single supply +40vdc with an output network that soft clips. The TDA2050 case can be mounted to gnd potential panel. No clipping diodes are in the system.

teemuk

joecool85

No links teemuk, he attatched pics.

Looks good btw.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

teemuk

Well, I can't see the pics either. In none of the threads here. Apparently they show up only on certain software.... maybe I should switch from IE to firefox.

jfetter

Seems like you have to be logged in to see them. The circuit sounda sweet, now doing a front panel with "Front Panel Designer". I did put one soft diode to pre clip prior to supply running out, so no PS ripple present even at high levels.

I've ordered a Weber 6X9 8ohm to experiment with a 'local' speaker in the head. The test speaker to date has been a Red Fang.

The idea is a compact head that can be used for recording or practice. It will look like a head but is really a combo.

Then add a reverb in next design.
Bruce

jfetter

Here is the new panel and chassis mock-up.

I picked too large router bit for small text engraving. Also forgot to pick grained finish. It still looks OK. The panel light is a radiio shack neon indicator lens and holder. I removed the neon assy and replaced with a 5,000 mcd 10mm red led. Its just a prototype so I'm trying out new.

Double drilling the panel/chassis is unnecessary by using the open end of the Bud CU-622A.

jrc4558

Great work and cool chassis! Where did you get them?
Also, which program opens the format of the layout you posted earlier?
Looking waaaay cool!

jfetter

Its a .lib file that is used by Orcad Layout (pcb layout program). If you don't have access to Orcad try eagle
http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm

I have not checked but it may actually have the pentawatt pkg in library. The free version is ok for two sided small boards, exactly what ss preamps and poweramps use.

Then send the gerber cad files to http://pcbfabexpress.com/ online.  They are the cheapest fastest no hassle.

The front panel is a free cad program from http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ , very easy to use and attached is my example. No setup charges and you can buy one , two or production quantities.

unzip the nash20a.zip and open the .fpd file with frontpanelexpress program.

jfetter

Finally got the head put together. I changed my mind on the clipping diode, took it out. The 6db filter on power amp output serves that purpose just fine and isolates the FB loop from load. So it becomes a partial current source open loop.

Also pictures of my lab bench. Probably looks like everyone elses. Working on the cab/head setup now. BTY the tone ckt is an active muff. The effect pedal is for input ckt saturation testing.

jfetter

Here is the final assy, switched to the 'Governor' for grins. The LED gives a brite starr appearance. I used a Geezer cab and mounted as shown with the right angle brackets. The chassis is mounted 0.25" from top of cab to allow air movement. The preamp board(is super quit) has a copper sheet shield but otherwise the chassis is open.

The soud is Fetzer like with very nice asymetrical clipping. Output filter is  -6db at 4000hz and does not allow hard clipping. the tone can scream.

joecool85

You are doing some really great work here!  How does it sound?  And also, you might want to consider adding the schematic(s) to the schematics section here at the forum, I know I would appreciate it.
thatraymond.com

jfetter

Two short examples...
Amp is on max volume , center tone and center gain.

1st is on a strat using front pickup.
2nd is on Les Paul with bridge pickup.

The cab has a bad resonance at C# , you can hear it on the low registers( some people like that though) . Have to do some cab work and possibly reduce gain. Mic at aprox 6" in front with a stien e609.

www.avantpower.com/nash20/nash20-320.mp3

joecool85

WOW, that sounds great!  Good guitar skills as well.  Is this schematic posted in the schematics section?  If not, it should be.  I would consider posting it in the wiki as well.  If you don't know how, just ask and I'll help you out.
thatraymond.com