Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Boss Metal Zone MT2

Started by txpvxxl, October 17, 2009, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txpvxxl

Have a MT2, Not the MIJ... It's the plain ol' Taiwan made stomp.
What I was curious about is, What is the reasoning for the "mod"
kits that seem to be so readily available? Is there really that much
of an gain in tone, EQ capability? Don't mean to sound like a dummy.
This one seems to do okay, Just curious as to what the mod will
do overall.
Thanks!

J M Fahey

Mods are popular, not because they are really necessary, but because many buy industrial mass produced stuff and want it to be "special" or unique. 
If you´re happy with it , keep it.

txpvxxl

So where would the benefit be by modding a MT-2 for instance?
Cleaner tone, Horsepower..? Is it just a matter of utilizing a
better component(s) for longevity? Just curious as to what
to expect out of modifying this particular stomp. It's a great
pedal as is... Might be worth the while if the end result makes
for an even "greater" pedal. Sure don't mean to make a rubiks
cube out of my curiosity. :-\
Thanks so much!

Brymus

You might have better luck asking at DIYstompboxes.com
I am not familiar with that pedal or any mods for it,but some one over there probably is.

J M Fahey

Hi. Two things come to mind:
1) You won´t get "better" parts than Boss, which are *big* buyers and famous for their quality and longevity.
I know for sure they have a terrific quality control.
No, a $65 "white whale oil capacitor", made by Tibetan monks high in the Himalayas, on the exact moment of Winter Solstice, won´t make it sound any better/bluesier/heavier/"xxxxxx"er , although many claim so.
2) Soldering/desoldering, moving/pulling wires, replacing components, messing with it needlessly, will definitely *shorten* its useful life.
3) In short, if you are happy with it (I would), keep it as-is.
Great pedal, congratulations.

txpvxxl

Quote from: J M Fahey on October 18, 2009, 08:02:27 PM
Hi. Two things come to mind:
1) You won´t get "better" parts than Boss, which are *big* buyers and famous for their quality and longevity.
I know for sure they have a terrific quality control.
No, a $65 "white whale oil capacitor", made by Tibetan monks high in the Himalayas, on the exact moment of Winter Solstice, won´t make it sound any better/bluesier/heavier/"xxxxxx"er , although many claim so.
2) Soldering/desoldering, moving/pulling wires, replacing components, messing with it needlessly, will definitely *shorten* its useful life.
3) In short, if you are happy with it (I would), keep it as-is.
Great pedal, congratulations.

Yup...
The ol' if it ain't broke leave it alone would seem to apply here. I sure thank you for the
insight and expertise!
Thanks again!

Bill Moore

I also have an MT-2 that I'm deciding what to do (mod or not). I have experience with a few other Boss pedals, a couple I installed the "Keeley" mods, and another was a ? that the guy I bought the pedal from included. On all three, the reduction of noise (hiss) at idle was really noticeable. Also on all three, the tone control was more useable after the mods, (not off or on), and I think I can get more of the sound I was searching for. In the case of the DS-1, and the BD-2, there is also another option for sound adjustment, with an added switch.
Not trying to suggest you need any mods, but I wondered why Boss didn't put a little better components in their boxes, just for the noise reduction alone.

crane

I have an MT-2 as well. Not that I'm using it - it's just taking space in the corner. About a year ago I was really curious if I could make it usefull. Changed elektrolytics to metal film, changed opamps to opa2134 (this was the hardes part because original were SIP, while opa's are DIP). overall - it got better but is stilll pretty useless pedal.

J M Fahey

Quotebut I wondered why Boss didn't put a little better components in their boxes,
Well, Boss parts are not "bad", although you can certainly buy better/more expensive ones.
Anyway, $1 saved on 1000000 pedals means 1000000 bucks !

askwho69

Quote from: Brymus on October 18, 2009, 04:31:54 AM
You might have better luck asking at DIYstompboxes.com
I am not familiar with that pedal or any mods for it,but some one over there probably is.

+10000