Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Japanese transistors

Started by JHow, September 29, 2013, 07:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHow

Okay, it's not really a guitar amp, it's the power amp for a Kennwood Eleven GX, and it came with dead outputs and a bunch of burnt resistors, and after checking a number of other dead transistors.  Problem is where to find some of these transistors?

Drivers: 2SC1913, 2SA913

Also:  2SA733R (Q), 2SC1735, 2SC1845 (F,E), 2SC945R (Q)

I tried looking at MCM, but did not see any of these guys. 

A lot of the smaller ones are ECB.  I have the feeling there are things that would work with some leg bending.

Any advice on how to pick substitutes?

Enzo

All the little TO92 Japanese types are ECB.  And there are plenty around.  If you have to sub something, you can find another Asian type, no need for a 2Nxxx and twisting the leads.

B&D Enterprises has several of your small ones.   Look up the data sheet for the ones you want, and find something with similar specs.  The amp will be happy.

And look what the part does.  If it turns an LED off and on, or a relay, hell, it can be most anything.

joecool85

Now I sound like a newbie, but what do MCM and ECB mean/stand for?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

MCM is a supplier.  Unlike general parts houses like Mouser or Digikey, MCM is more about consumer electronics parts.  SO they sell most of the Asian types and ICs you might find in TV sets, or laser pickups for CD/DVD players.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/

ECB - emitter, collector, base - the three legs of a transistor.  the TO92 in the 2SCxxx series and 2SAxxx series have the lead order ECB, while USA types like 2N3904 or MPSA06 will have the lead order EBC.   That is left to right looking at the flat side.

joecool85

Quote from: Enzo on September 30, 2013, 05:09:34 PM
MCM is a supplier.  Unlike general parts houses like Mouser or Digikey, MCM is more about consumer electronics parts.  SO they sell most of the Asian types and ICs you might find in TV sets, or laser pickups for CD/DVD players.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/

ECB - emitter, collector, base - the three legs of a transistor.  the TO92 in the 2SCxxx series and 2SAxxx series have the lead order ECB, while USA types like 2N3904 or MPSA06 will have the lead order EBC.   That is left to right looking at the flat side.

Glad I asked, makes much more sense now.  Also, I knew ECB/EBC just had a brain fart.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com