Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Gibson amp anyone heard of it???

Started by Peggyr420, November 03, 2015, 09:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggyr420

Ok I'm new to this forum stuff. Just really hoping someone can help me out. Recently bought an old amp it's a Gibson medalist 1969-1970?? It's not the duo or super just plain medalist. It in practically brand new condition. I have looked online and can't find a thing on it. I have seen one other picture that's it.  I did one of those ask the expert sites and got very little info on it guy just said he heard of it but not many people have heard if if and that he played one that Lou reed Owens in early 70s lol not sure to believe that but guess you never know.    Has anyone heard of it or have any info on it. I'm guessing since nothing about it online really means it's proble just A paper weight.  Thanx in advance for any info n e one may have

g1

Enzo

So does it work?

The amp is not that complex, so it is always reparable.  I have certainly heard of them, I may have the schematics in my file, I'll look.

Peggyr420

The amp in the ebay post I think is a medalist duo. Mine is just a medalist 212.  It works great n sounds awesome. Looks just as good. Like new. Keep trying to post a pic but keeps saying already a file with that name n won't let me post pic

Peggyr420

Den.

Quote from: Peggyr420 on November 03, 2015, 02:55:39 PM
... Keep trying to post a pic but keeps saying already a file with that name n won't let me post pic

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Electric-Guitars-3419/2015/10/gibson-amp.jpg

Peggyr420

Yes that is my question I asked the experts lol and those are the pics I submitted. Thanx for adding that link so the picture could be seen!!!

galaxiex

If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

Peggyr420

Yep that's one of my pics I put online on the experts site   Only found one other pic online and it was on some site called "fatdawg " or something but didn't give much info.  So anyone heard of it or have experience with it? Dying to know if worth anything or just nice decoration lol. Guy we bought it off of also had a real old Gibson acoustic can't remeber the name of it but it was pretty beat up. The amp just looked interesting n had to buy it. Really would like to know more about it.

Enzo

Just for the future, if a file already exists message comes up, you can always rename your file.

Peggyr420

Lol thank you. I did try that and tried a different pic and also tried just taking new one kept getting same message.

J M Fahey

Main point is that it works well and you like it  :tu:  , what else do you need  ? 8)
Not famous, not exactly unknown.
If anything, *maybe*  Enzo finds the schematic and posts it here, for future reference.
Only thing that worries me a little is that slider pots are easier to get dirty, because of the large outside window, but no big deal, if one gets scratchy you justb clean it.

Peggyr420

Yes very true. Thanx everyone for your help.

Enzo

yes, I have it, it starts on page 465 in the Master Service Book that Gibson published years ago.  If anyone has a scanned copy of that, it would save me a lot of work.

if it works and sounds good, I have no idea why you'd call it a paper weight.

In the contents page it is a Medalist 212, but on the pages, it identifies itself only as Model 212.  That mau confuse some searches.

Looks like you can download the whole 175MB book here:
http://www.schematicsunlimited.com/g/gibson/1-gibson-master-service-manual

blackcorvo

Quote from: Enzo on November 04, 2015, 06:05:57 PM

if it works and sounds good, I have no idea why you'd call it a paper weight.

Exactly.
Doesn't matter if it's tubes, transistors, op-amps, digital emulation, or whatever they come up with next. What matters is that it's good to you.