Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 08:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

guitar amp won't work please help!!!!

Started by theguitarshredder, November 30, 2011, 10:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theguitarshredder

i have an ibanez TBX 150h head and a a marshall MG412A. i've had it for almost a year now and a came home one day and it just would not work. i could get sound but barely enough to hear if i played softly. i tried a new cable, and i turned the volume up to 10 as well as the gain. the volume on the amp turned all the way up gave no difference in volume but a large difference in tone. i took the head down to the local music shop and plugged it into a peavey cab. with everything not mine except the head, i slowly added all my gear. guitar, cable, speaker cable. a couple weeks later i took the cab down there and it worked just fine. the guy there said the guitar cable was the prob, but having tried three different cables i tried to tell him but he completely ignored me. but i took this into consideration anyway only to hit another dead end. having known the head worked with a peavey cab i decided to take the warrenty i had on the marshall and get a used peavey 412ms and it arrived today but frustratingly enough it still would not work! >:( >:( >:( >:( :grr i plugged it into a different outlet and had no luck. so i took it downstairs to see if i could get any better power but i just cannot get it to work.

if this helps:

ibanez specs:
150 watts
two 8 ohm speaker outputs

marshall specs:
8 ohms
100 watts

peavey specs
8 ohm in stereo
16 ohm in mono(this is what i use)
wattage unknown (by me at least)

and the head and both cabinets are used

:grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr :grr

J M Fahey

Dear guitar shredder.
Sorry but your post is not clear, please explain:
Quotei have an ibanez TBX 150h head and a a marshall MG412A. i've had it for almost a year now and a came home one day and it just would not work. i could get sound but barely enough to hear if i played softly.
What do you mean:
a) if you play softly you hear something (yet if you play loud it silences) ... or:
b) even if *you* play loud, the sound comes out at low volume, no matter what you do
is it "a" or "b"?

Quotei tried a new cable, and i turned the volume up to 10 as well as the gain. the volume on the amp turned all the way up gave no difference in volume but a large difference in tone.
I guess you mean even on 10 your volume was very low.
What was the "large difference in tone"?
Please describe.
Even better, record it and post an MP3

Quotei took the head down to the local music shop and plugged it into a peavey cab. with everything not mine except the head,
*did* it work then? ... or not?

Quotei slowly added all my gear. guitar, cable, speaker cable.
*did* it work then? ... or not?
did anything change when you added other elements?

Quotea couple weeks later i took the cab down there and it worked just fine.
It "worked fine" with your stuff or with other gear?

Quotethe guy there said the guitar cable was the prob, but having tried three different cables i tried to tell him but he completely ignored me. but i took this into consideration anyway only to hit another dead end. having known the head worked with a peavey cab
So, your head worked with a Peavey cab *and* your cab worked with another head and stuff. Is that so?
Please confirm.
*If* that´s so (your description is not clear at all), then they both work, and *other* things are suspect, specially cables (guitar or speaker ones), any pedals you use (or ther batteries or power supplies) or your guitar(s).

Quotei decided to take the warrenty i had on the marshall and get a used peavey 412ms and it arrived today but frustratingly enough it still would not work!
Weeeelllll, you still were using it with your head (which *seems* to work at the guitar shop, you are not clear about it) and with your old stuff (cables, pedals, guitar, etc.). Hard to guess *which* of them is guilty or even suspect.

Quote>:( >:( >:( >:( :grr i plugged it into a different outlet and had no luck. so i took it downstairs to see if i could get any better power but i just cannot get it to work.

It does not seem to be an *outlet* problem.
Does your amp turn on?
Does its power light turn on?
When you turn it on, do you hear *anything* on the speaker? (a thump, click, hiss, hum, whatever, even with your ear close to the speaker).

We want to help you but we are not there, so we fully depend on your verbal descriptions and tests.
Good luck. :tu: