Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:54:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Vox Pathfinder 15r Mods...

Started by FrugalGuitarist, May 24, 2010, 03:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrugalGuitarist

Been experimenting with it, you can read about the trial and error http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=339. So far...

The amp stock uses an TDA2030 for power. On a tip at another forum, I subbed in an LM1875 which is a pin for pin match.  Per the spec sheet, looks like it's capable of a bit more power (nearly double?) using the existing power supply. The spec sheet for the TDA2030 lists typical performance of 9 to 11 watts @ 8 ohms (based on measurement method) while the LM1875 lists a typical performance 25 watts @ 8 ohms. Of course the LM1875 needs more power to generate that output but has a wide swing of operation. I subbed it in and it is louder for sure.  Once I'm done will all the mods I'll A/B/ it versus spec.

Of course this will require a new speaker to handle the additional power which will be the second mod.

Third up, the amp uses a red led pair for clipping (in conjunction with a secondary boost circuit). I'm currently experimenting with them subbing in various diodes and I've got some mosfets I'm going to load up tonight.

Stay tuned!
Visit my e-zine www.FrugalGuitarist.com dedicated to providing our readers with detailed reviews of under-the-radar gear and guides to the best bargains on the net.

Estomagado

i know this is a paleolitic thread but I really want to see the results and other mods you made. Frugalguitarrist.com is offline.

Do you have that somewhere else, eight years later? Thank you.

Tubes suck!

EDITED: corrected some typos. Android sucks.

J M Fahey

In a nutshell, since you revived this old topic:
1)
QuoteThe amp stock uses an TDA2030 for power. On a tip at another forum, I subbed in an LM1875 which is a pin for pin match.  Per the spec sheet, looks like it's capable of a bit more power (nearly double?) using the existing power supply.
No, exact same power, exact same sound.

2) 
Quotewill require a new speaker to handle the additional power which will be the second mod.
No additional power so no need for a new speaker.

3) want bto try different clipping? fine, go ahead.