Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:09:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

My SMD solder practice PCB - Micks Thick As A Brick

Started by Tassieviking, November 05, 2021, 01:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassieviking

G'day
I found a circuit an a Russian web page and decided to make myself a PCB using KiCad so I can practice some SMD soldering.
I am calling the PCB "Micks Thick As A Brick", I have no clue if the circuit will work, but I had fun making it up.
I have ordered 5 PCB's from JLCPCB and will make one up some time in the future.If it works I will post that here.
The PCB can be cut in half and rejoined back to back so it might fit in a 1590A box (maybe).
Not all components are used, if the transistors are used then the R5,R10, R20 resistors are not used.
If the top half of the PCB is only used, then don't use the transistors or R43, R44, R45, R46, R47 and C36.
The SMD PT2399 should be the ones available from Tayda.
Just study the circuit and work it out.
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

joecool85

I love using KiCad, works great doesn't it?  Let us know how the SMD practice goes, I've yet to try it myself.   :dbtu:

Also, I've been thinking about trying some PT2399 reverb or delay circuits.  I'll be interested to see how this comes out.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Tassieviking

I find Kicad great, I have only used it for less then a year now I think, but I am making up my own foot-prints and I have made some PCB's as well. :dbtu:
I am not sure when I will attempt the SMD practice as I am going to build some SS amps first, The Sunn Beta amps both Bass and Lead and also some Marshall Mosfets, and I also got some PCB's coming for the Sunn SL160/SL260 amp, but the SL160/SL260 is not supposed to be that good sounding.
The practice board should make up a BTDR2 on one half and the other half is the 5V reg, and the in/out amps with speed etc.
You can make a stock BTDR2 or an adjustable decay and frequency one if you want with that PCB.
Cut the board in half and join back to back and it should fit in a 1590A pedal.
I want to experiment to see if I can use this in a SMD sunn beta amp pedal with reverb and class D power amp eventually. (1590BB)
That's if it works, if not at least I will get some soldering practice and have fun doing it.

There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.