Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

hum induction of transformer to amp

Started by jimtr6, December 11, 2016, 01:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimtr6

I built a little amp and used a transformer from a phone systme, it works fine but there is some hum, is there a signifcant distance the power transformer should be from the amp, mine is one inch away, also are there transformers with grounded shielding like a metal cover?

phatt

A link to the Schematic and better still a picture of what you have built,, otherwise it means little and we can't do much to help.  :tu:
Cheers Phil.

J M Fahey

What Phil said  8)

We donĀ“t know what " a little amp"  is nor what  "a transformer from a phone systme" is.
Schematic? / voltage / kind of supply?

jimtr6

sorry, what i have is a small board with a TDA 7293, no preamp, just the amp, a transformer, and a small board with a relay to switch on the speaker with a three second delay, all mounted on a 8" x 8" piece of plywood and close to one another (inch apart), I noticed the input (shielded 5 inch lead wire with a 1/4" female) was sensitive to placement and would induce more or less hum when moved. I've since spread things out more and the hum did drop a fair amount. I guess my question would be is...is there a preferred transformer for these two rail amps that utilize these IC power amps that run on anywhere from 13 to 33 vac, possibly a shielded torroid?

Enzo

Your whole circuit lacks shielding, I don;t worry much about the transformer.