Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:00:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Vox - Triumph fan!

Started by His Majesty, March 29, 2008, 11:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

His Majesty

Hi there!

I just found and joined this place so hello!   :tu:

I'm a big fan of the Vox Supreme and Triumph silicon 100 amps, I own one of each...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/sundaramusic/Amps%20and%20effects%20pedals/DSC03431.jpg

I'm a non technical type, but I have been collecting stuff relating to those amps. I'd be happy to post pics from Triumph catalogs, Vox/Triumph adverts etc as well as any 'innards' shots of the amps themselves should anyone wish to see that!?

All the best

Philip

teemuk

I definitely would like to see more pics of these beauties.

His Majesty

To start with here's a couple of Triumph catalogues. Sorry if the pics are too big anything smaller and the descriptions become unreadable!

1965/66:

1968/69:

His Majesty

Here's the innards of my own Triumph Silicon 100.  I just discovered today that there's an internal trim pot which changes the character of the amp when I alter it's position.

Power section...

preamp...

teemuk

Beautiful. I truly like the way they designed the front panel / whole chassis of these things. It looks pretty clever. My favourite detail are the two lamps that illuminate the controls.

I wonder though, how does the air circulate to those heatsinks? In other words, do you get vertical airflow through the fins... There are holes that would support it but they lead to that smaller chassis compartment. Is there a ventilation hole in the bottom of the cabinet as well?

The "terminal / rectifier PCB plate" of those filter caps needs serious cleaning and possibly resoldering of some joints. What's the idea with the tin foil wrapped around the cap?

His Majesty

Tinfoil?  Before the amp was serviced, the end blue cap had black tape over it, supporting the end of the pcb board which had a broken screw. The tape has been removed mostly and a new attaching screw has been out in place supporting the end of the board.

Yeah that pcb/filter board does look very dirty, but it was serviced recently and that was left alone so!?  :-\

Here's the innards of a Triumph with some slight differences that was on ebay awhile ago...

His Majesty

So, what do you think the trim pot is doing as it affects the volume, tone stack and the fuzz and tremolo!?  What is it's purpose?

teemuk

His Majesty

Quote from: teemuk on May 18, 2008, 04:43:43 PM
Do you have a schematic?

I,m afraid not, but I think the tech who worked on the amp has.